Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I am looking at all different types of ski's but I am curious about some reliability rankings.

I notice that a lot of people say that the reliablity rankings are: yamaha, seadoo, kawasaki. I left off honda because the don't make ski's currently.

Can anyone explain why the kawasaki's are so low in the reliability rankings with members of this site, and others? Does it have to do with the hull and the fact that they are better in big water (ie the ocean) and therefore fall victim to lax maintenance and corrosion?

Is there some critical flaws in the design of the engine, or technology that protects the engine? Ie. supercharger is not as fail proof?

Really would like to hear from the kawi crowd regarding this because I know brand loyalty is ridiculous and yamaha and seadoo guys are going to bash away on anything other than what they ride.

So can someone enlighten a soon to be newb on the pro's and con's of owning a kawasaki? Will be only riding in the Lake of the Ozarks. Really clean fresh water...does that make a difference?

Thanks so much guys and gals.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Kawasaki got a bad rep lately because of 250/260x models. Many owners reported major engine problems at low hours to boot. The STX-15f models have been reliable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the NA LX model? (160 horse) Any glaring issues with them?

Also noticed that there have been discussions about blistering on the bottom of the boats. Not only with Kawi but also with Honda....not so much on the Yamahas or seadoos.

Is this an improper maintenance issue more than anything? Boats would be out of the water whenever they are not being ridden.

Really like the looks of the LX but the brand just seems to be tormented with issues...

·
Registered
16 Posts
AS you mentioned, the type of maintenance that the equipment gets will define how long it lives. That said, I just bought a new Kawasaki STX-15f, after doing lots of research and surfing forums. If you want the most reliable ski out there, IMHO get a Yamaha. They seem to have the best reputation, but it comes at a price. I paid $7300 for new 2010 15f. Just too good of deal to pass up and 160HP to boot. From what I can tell, the naturally aspirated Kawasaki is as good as the Yamaha. I did see quite a few issues with the Kawasaki supercharged skis though…

In speaking with folks at the lake, reading reviews and scrubbing the forums, it was my perception that Sea Doo had the most issues. They have taken smaller engine and tweaked the heck out of it to get the same power that the larger displacement skis have. If it burns twice as bright, it only burns half as long, right? That said, I have also spoken with folks that have had Sea Doo for years and never had a lick of issues. You can still find Honda brand new at dealers. I get the impression that the engine is pretty good on the Honda, but the hull is not that good of a design.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
What about the NA LX model? (160 horse) Any glaring issues with them?

Also noticed that there have been discussions about blistering on the bottom of the boats. Not only with Kawi but also with Honda....not so much on the Yamahas or seadoos.

Is this an improper maintenance issue more than anything? Boats would be out of the water whenever they are not being ridden.

Really like the looks of the LX but the brand just seems to be tormented with issues...
The N/A LX model has the same motor as the STX-15f so you'll probably be OK. In fact these motors are based off Kawasaki's crotch-rocket engines. And Kawi makes some of the best sportbikes in the industry.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Why Kawasaki???

Ok I have sat back and watched this thread's posts to see what other's had to say. It's not because I ride Seadoos, that makes them a good choice. It's more about the companies that build them and their dealer network.

Okay first of all do you know who Seadoo is? Probably 1 out 5 people. Seadoo is part a division of Bombardier, called BRP, Bombardier Recreational Products, which produce Skidoo snowmobiles, thats something Kawasaki tried their hand at that in the late seventies and early eighties and failed miserably. I know I owned one as my first sled, friggin junk, Then I started buying Skidoo snowmobiles from 1985 thru 2004, about 15 different models with no major problems. So when I retired from sledding to Jet skis naturally I went with Seadoo because of who builds them and Austrian quality motors. The company behind BRP is even bigger than you could imagine Bombardier is in to highspeed trains,as well as many government projects.

Ok next who are the only two companies here can offer a full line of jet boats ah thats easy, Yamaha and Seadoo. Sign of strength and commitment to the sport.

Ok next dealer networks, Kawasaki is pale in comparision, I did some dealer searches and they have about 25% represention compared to Seadoo and Yamaha. Because a warranty doesn't repair sleds, dealers do!!!

So my customer experiences with Seadoo have been nothing but stellar. Because the dealer makes the difference. So when you purchase your ski you buying more than that with a Seadoo, your buying the dealer and the company behind it.

Know why Kawasaki isn't a good choice for me. Seen to many percentage wise braking down and on a tow rope headed home. Next all the negative posts of supercharged Ultras with blown motors i.e. broken crankshafts and blown pistons w/ pics and the owner saying Kawasaki gave them the middle finger warranty on new units.

So overall Kawasaki seems to be the least liked skis in the sport.

IMO in light of what is going on in Japan, Kawasaki will most likely be the next line of skis discontinued for cost poor market share. Proof in point. jump on the manufactuers forums and look at the numberes of people viewing them. Yamaha the most, Seadoo second and Kawasaki in a distant third.:dunno:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Seadoo awarded PWC of the year 2011

Just thought I would throw this in there. PWC TODAY selected the GTI 130 as PWC of the year due to innovative technology and fit and finish, Runner up was the Yamaha VXR for 2011. No Kawasakis mentioned including the 300X.:dunno::thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that article and noted it as well. Currently just trying to wrap my brain around the whole sport and all the players.

I understand that there are lemons in every bunch and I greatly appreciate all the constructive comments. Nice to be on a forum that does not just flame away.

I did some reading last night on blistering and it seems to be prevalent in fiberglass bottomed boats.

Does the NanXcell hull of the Yamaha help with this issue? Not terribly concerned but I am interested in making sure that what I buy will last. :) Aren't we all? :)

Currently my choices of ski are as follows from most desired to least desired...

Yamaha VXR/ VXS (seems to have the oomph that one could grow into)

Sea Doo GTI SE 155/ 130 (not sure how much the hp difference is really going to make other than just strait excelleration times and "good god hold on!" feeling)

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on the true difference between the 130 and 155 models of Sea Doo. Is there really going to be that noticeable of a difference in the two models?

Finally, Yamaha seems like a simple machine. Direct and to the point. The Sea Doo's have a LOT of technology on them, which to me is the difference between an old Jeep Wrangler and a Mercedes Benz off roader, with Yamaha being the Jeep and Sea Doo being the MB. Does the warranty for Sea Doo cover the electronics on the boat? I come from the world of the more moving parts the more points of failure, but if Sea Doo covers issues like the electronics, then I will definitely be rearranging the above noted listed order of preference.

Thanks again so much guys and gals for your input. Really appreciate any and all opinions, advice, and information that I can get before I pull the trigger on this purchase. It should be noted that I plan on purchasing NEW NEW NEW. :) My wife is the one pushing that action...not me...and yes I am a lucky boy!

:):laugh::cheeky4:

·
Registered
811 Posts
;)Yes Seadoo does cover electronics during te warranty period, standard and ext. called BEST. I own the 2009 RXT-is 255 which has the electronic suspension as well. No problems to date with electronics. The old seadoo hull never blistered, now the new S-3 hull is even better, it is a deep V, stepped hull, the only one like it.

The biggest differences on the SE edtions is that they come with more user friendly features such as a boarding step, VTS trim, nicer seat and the Viper red or the Black, White and Orange.

The 155 hp VS the 130 hp. Both engines will work. But I would lean towards the 155 hp for more power and speed when riding two up or for towing tubes. The Yamaha VXR is faster but rides rougher and wetter due to the older style light hull. And is yesterdays technology. Yamaha has to play catch up because Seadoo is bearing down on them fast.

By The Way where are all the proud Kawasaki riders in this forum??????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Outlaw...(i am now hijacking my own thread...LOL) I found a dealer here in central Missouri that has a new in the crate 08 RXP -X and RXT-X. Now I know one is 3 seat and one is 2 seat, but my real question is this....

The superchargers had issues with the ceramic rings i believe that were failing at a lower than expected hour rating. If the deal is right should i be afraid of buying these ski's? Should I have them ensure that the rings are the stainless variety straight away? Do you have any understanding as to why there were so many failures with the superchargers in the past, and do they use a newer type now verses the older models? I always assumed modifications and poor maintenance were behind failures more than not...that and riders being especially hard on the equipment because well it goes FAST....lol.

More power is always better in my book, but I keep feeling the need to stay away from the supercharged type because of the cost of failures that I have read about. Is it really all that prevalent or is it a case of only hearing the wost of the worst because people only post complaints in forums?

If you can weigh in on these questions that would be great. Feel free to just message me verses posting in the thread if that is more comfortable, or will keep admins from getting peeved.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Seadoo Rocks

Hey Outlaw...(i am now hijacking my own thread...LOL) I found a dealer here in central Missouri that has a new in the crate 08 RXP -X and RXT-X. Now I know one is 3 seat and one is 2 seat, but my real question is this....

The superchargers had issues with the ceramic rings i believe that were failing at a lower than expected hour rating. If the deal is right should i be afraid of buying these ski's? Should I have them ensure that the rings are the stainless variety straight away? Do you have any understanding as to why there were so many failures with the superchargers in the past, and do they use a newer type now verses the older models? I always assumed modifications and poor maintenance were behind failures more than not...that and riders being especially hard on the equipment because well it goes FAST....lol.

More power is always better in my book, but I keep feeling the need to stay away from the supercharged type because of the cost of failures that I have read about. Is it really all that prevalent or is it a case of only hearing the wost of the worst because people only post complaints in forums?

If you can weigh in on these questions that would be great. Feel free to just message me verses posting in the thread if that is more comfortable, or will keep admins from getting peeved.
No problem since there are no Kawaski people sticking up for the Jolly Green Giant 300 X.

You have found two beautiful skis, can't go wrong what is the asking prices?

I am a three seater guy my self, can do more with them i.e. towing a tube , more stable with passengers on board, and handle chop better.

Both are 255 hp and will do 68-70 mph. Seadoo stop using ceramic thrust washers in 2006. When I put my RIVA STAGE III kit on it came with stainless washers. Most of the complaints you heard are from inexperinced Jet Ski owners, on the older ones with ceramic washers you would incurr loss of power before the washers would let go, but most people didn't know what this meant and proceeded to trash the engine into failure, kinda like hearing something in you car but ignoring it. My 2008 GTX 215 is supercharged and hasn't missed a beat. My 2009 RXT-is is a supercharged 255 hp, never had a problem with the supercharger. Last but not least is the Beast from the East, my 2006 RXT which is heavily modified with RIVA parts and now pushing 300+ hp up from 215 hp, increased top speed from 68 mph to 76+ mph. It will idle and cruise all day long like a stocker. Now that is saying something for not only the supercharger but the whole engine and drive train.:thumbsup::appl:

Don't worry the admins love me heh, heh. With 438 posts there has been some I am not real proud of. But my Doc gave new meds so I am better now LOL.:laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well am getting ready to chat with them this evening...but what would be a price that would be reasonalbe in your mind?

I am sure that they went for close to 14500 new....I am thinking something along the line of 12000 a piece with a double trailer thrown in? Am I high or low on that figure? I have no problem coming in at the 10k a piece mark and working my way up...but don't want to piss off someone with low ball figures.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok these skis are new, never been registered and should come with factory warranty. If it was a used 2008 it would sell for around $9000.00 with a trailer. New with factory warranty add $2000.00 for $11,000 with a trailer. Even though it is new it is still a 2008. A new 2011 RXT is about 13,000 with no trailer. I would offer $10,000 up to $11,000.

Take the RXT you will like it better.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you offer $10-$10,500 I think you will own it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Almost all of the 250/260 issues were head or pump bearing related; both issues have been addressed with the 300. SeaPoop hardly has a stellar relaibility record - ceramic washers? really? I'd say Yamaha leads the pack, but the FZR has the clutch failure issue. Any supercharged ski is going to require religious maintenance and most people can't be bothered. No reported issues with the 300 yet and I know a guy on GH who has 35 hours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No problem since there are no Kawaski people sticking up for the Jolly Green Giant 300 X.
Unlike random bs talkers, I actually own one - and I've raced a few Sea Doos in chop and blew their doors off

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I would love to see Outlaw's Rxt VS a 300x. If you do ever race one Bob have a third person film it and post it here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Stock for stock, the 300X has a better holeshot (documented), better speed (documented), and handles better in chop (documented). The RXT can't beat the 300 in any objective performance category, including handling - the 300 is a stellar ski, and that isn't just me talking, it is winning off-shore races right and left - Kawasaki got it right this time.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I hope so!!!

I would love to see Outlaw's Rxt VS a 300x. If you do ever race one Bob have a third person film it and post it here.
We had our stuff out to do it Fathers day 3 of us rode and were hangin at the spot on the back river to do testing/ racing. We use a flagger and measured as close to 1,000' as we could measure. As it was there were some guys out but like Artic said when they hear the exhuast they back down, as it was I raced a 2009 RXT-X I believe it was stock. outta the hole I was 5 skis ahead by the time he got on plane, from there it just pulled real hard upto 8450 ish rpms, at approx 1000' they called it at 15 skis. The sound was very loud from the pipe and cold air. Once I made that pass no one else wanted to run so I flagged for other guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts