Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I am looking at all different types of ski's but I am curious about some reliability rankings.

I notice that a lot of people say that the reliablity rankings are: yamaha, seadoo, kawasaki. I left off honda because the don't make ski's currently.

Can anyone explain why the kawasaki's are so low in the reliability rankings with members of this site, and others? Does it have to do with the hull and the fact that they are better in big water (ie the ocean) and therefore fall victim to lax maintenance and corrosion?

Is there some critical flaws in the design of the engine, or technology that protects the engine? Ie. supercharger is not as fail proof?

Really would like to hear from the kawi crowd regarding this because I know brand loyalty is ridiculous and yamaha and seadoo guys are going to bash away on anything other than what they ride.

So can someone enlighten a soon to be newb on the pro's and con's of owning a kawasaki? Will be only riding in the Lake of the Ozarks. Really clean fresh water...does that make a difference?

Thanks so much guys and gals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the NA LX model? (160 horse) Any glaring issues with them?

Also noticed that there have been discussions about blistering on the bottom of the boats. Not only with Kawi but also with Honda....not so much on the Yamahas or seadoos.

Is this an improper maintenance issue more than anything? Boats would be out of the water whenever they are not being ridden.

Really like the looks of the LX but the brand just seems to be tormented with issues...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw that article and noted it as well. Currently just trying to wrap my brain around the whole sport and all the players.

I understand that there are lemons in every bunch and I greatly appreciate all the constructive comments. Nice to be on a forum that does not just flame away.

I did some reading last night on blistering and it seems to be prevalent in fiberglass bottomed boats.

Does the NanXcell hull of the Yamaha help with this issue? Not terribly concerned but I am interested in making sure that what I buy will last. :) Aren't we all? :)

Currently my choices of ski are as follows from most desired to least desired...

Yamaha VXR/ VXS (seems to have the oomph that one could grow into)

Sea Doo GTI SE 155/ 130 (not sure how much the hp difference is really going to make other than just strait excelleration times and "good god hold on!" feeling)

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on the true difference between the 130 and 155 models of Sea Doo. Is there really going to be that noticeable of a difference in the two models?

Finally, Yamaha seems like a simple machine. Direct and to the point. The Sea Doo's have a LOT of technology on them, which to me is the difference between an old Jeep Wrangler and a Mercedes Benz off roader, with Yamaha being the Jeep and Sea Doo being the MB. Does the warranty for Sea Doo cover the electronics on the boat? I come from the world of the more moving parts the more points of failure, but if Sea Doo covers issues like the electronics, then I will definitely be rearranging the above noted listed order of preference.

Thanks again so much guys and gals for your input. Really appreciate any and all opinions, advice, and information that I can get before I pull the trigger on this purchase. It should be noted that I plan on purchasing NEW NEW NEW. :) My wife is the one pushing that action...not me...and yes I am a lucky boy!

:):laugh::cheeky4:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Outlaw...(i am now hijacking my own thread...LOL) I found a dealer here in central Missouri that has a new in the crate 08 RXP -X and RXT-X. Now I know one is 3 seat and one is 2 seat, but my real question is this....

The superchargers had issues with the ceramic rings i believe that were failing at a lower than expected hour rating. If the deal is right should i be afraid of buying these ski's? Should I have them ensure that the rings are the stainless variety straight away? Do you have any understanding as to why there were so many failures with the superchargers in the past, and do they use a newer type now verses the older models? I always assumed modifications and poor maintenance were behind failures more than not...that and riders being especially hard on the equipment because well it goes FAST....lol.

More power is always better in my book, but I keep feeling the need to stay away from the supercharged type because of the cost of failures that I have read about. Is it really all that prevalent or is it a case of only hearing the wost of the worst because people only post complaints in forums?

If you can weigh in on these questions that would be great. Feel free to just message me verses posting in the thread if that is more comfortable, or will keep admins from getting peeved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well am getting ready to chat with them this evening...but what would be a price that would be reasonalbe in your mind?

I am sure that they went for close to 14500 new....I am thinking something along the line of 12000 a piece with a double trailer thrown in? Am I high or low on that figure? I have no problem coming in at the 10k a piece mark and working my way up...but don't want to piss off someone with low ball figures.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts