Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two 2007 Kawasaki STX 12-F in 2007. It seems after having issues with two seasons of use with the Multifunction Meter (Dash Display) going on and off at time and giving false information, one ski Meter has finally gone blank and the other is still acting up in the same manner. I called the dealer and was told he is not aware of any ISSUES with the Multifunction Meter and that if the issue is not present he could not determine the problem. It seems that this display has a problem with water getting into it and it causes the meter to short out. You can see moisture in the meters glass cover if you look closely. This problem seem to be a manufactures defect. There is no way moisture should be entering this type of Meter. I have notified Kawasaki of my complaint and I am waiting for there reply. Anyone out there with the same issue. Will keep in touch as to their decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
multi-function meter

As of two days ago, I had the same problem. I had moisture on the plastic face plate as of two years ago but assumed it was just a bad seal and there was nothing I could do about it since Kawasaki states its a sealed unit. I finally Pulled the meter and found the inside to be a little wet. (display went blank) I know there is no way it was from riding. It is Either from rinsing off the ski or humidity and moisture from temperature changes. There is a rubber gromet around the wiring going inside the unit, which I could see that being the cause of the problem by allowing humidity or water in from rinsing of the ski. Pulled the gromet out and found a bad capacitor. Unable to get the display apart to repair it. I'll probably break the plastic before I could unglue the unit. By any chance have you been able to find a relatively inexpensive replacement part?

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMHO, I believe that Kawasaki has a problem with these displays....and as you know, they are not cheap to replace. I believe that it is a condensation issue that corrupts the electronics behind the display. Our 2006 STX-15F with only 20 hours rolled in the surf for an instant; and was immediately recovered, put upright and driven away. No water intrusion at all was noticed; however, the display quit working. I removed the display that day, pulled the rear plug and water came out. Not salt water, but fresh water. The state of corrosion suggested that it had been happening for a while.

My theory is that the water was laying in the bottom of the display and when it rolled, it shorted out the display. By cleaning the display's insides with alcohol, using an air gun to blow out the alcohol, and by placing the display for several hours in an oven on warm, it did recover.

Instead of being sealed so tightly, there should perhaps be a drain hole in the bottom. I'm not sure if that would allow more water in or the condensate out, so I didn't do it.

This has been my experience

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kawasaki replaced the meters on both my skis with NO COST TO ME. They replace the Multifuction Meters no questions asked. Both skis were out of warantee. Great Company to agree to take this action. My thanks to Kawasaki. Try giving them a call if you have an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks....that is good to know. When you got your new displays, did u notice anything different between the old and the new?

Did you go through your dealer for the replacement?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts