Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a ts from my neighbor for free. I was told it ran when it was put up. I do not know the year but I would say late 80's early 90's. Hooked it up to a battery charger and can hear the starting working, but nothing else. Besides gas and oil, what are some things I should look for to try and get this thing up and running. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, so I pulled the head off and the pistons were slightly stuck. so I got those moving and re lubed up. I believe the ignition system is working, when I go to start it I can hear it buzzing and feel it vibrating. I think I just need to get the starter going and might be good. Any recommendations about the fuel system?

·
Registered
811 Posts
How old is the fuel? I would drain it, then fill it and add seafoam to the fuel. I would also do a compression test since the pistons were stuck. If it is good try pouring a shot of gas in each cylinder, replace the plugs and fire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuel is 4-5 yrs old :p the biggest problem is the starter engages, but the engine does not crank. took starter off and it turns no problems at all. I have freed the pistons as they were stuck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the bendix isn't working properly. Try soaking it in PB blaster or something like PB blaster. if that releases in lube it with some wd40 and retry. i would also get rid of the fuel and put some fresh fuel in. after that remove the return line from the carb and blow through it until fuel comes out the return nozzle on carb. Then try starting. You still want to do a compression test. Even if compression is good and crab is primed still no start. you may have to rebuild carb, or bad crankseals, or both.
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts