Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new member here.

i have an old 1995 Kawasaki zxi 900 used for the first time this season yesterday.

it’s a bit of an old dog of a ski to look at but always run very well. Started frequently during winter and always flushed through.

So after 10 mins in the water yesterday there was a medium sized backfire which it has never done before, I checked it was pumping water, it was,although seemed hotter than usual, 5 mins later bogged out stalled and smoke/steam bellowing out of engine bay! Abandoned ship and swam in....
Recovered today expecting a seized engine or blown head gasket but it turns over and fired but I cut it as didn’t want to run for long. I’ve notice the rubber exhaust connectors from manifold to the sound muffler have exploded from the inside out? That would explain the smoke coming from the engine bay? What could cause this?
Did a compression test on all three cylinders. They two are at 100 one is at 105 so seemingly the block seems ok??

don’t want to run it properly until I have an idea of what happened??

many ideas anyone?
Sorry for the essay...

thanks

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My guess would be the hose let loose do to age. Not uncommon it's 25 yrs old. It probably backfired due to exhaust gas being in engine bay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts