Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 1993 Kawasaki 750SX and its running SUPER rich. Just completed a carburetor rebuild, still running rich (plugs are pretty wet and shes smoking like crazy under throttle).

Below is what I discovered while performing the rebuild and I'm hoping this information will trigger some "next steps" from someone. I'm fairly new to jet skis and two strokes so go easy on me :cool:
I believe the carburetor is original, its a keihin single carb setup, I don't see a specific model number but given the year its likely a CDK II (or some close derivative)
The main jet is a 120 or 125 (the jetting number is printed on the side and very difficult to read) also kind of odd the jet is NOT brass, its a silver color so maybe stainless? Zinc?
The pilot jet is a 90 and it does look like a brass jet
Neither of these jets are what's specified as "stock" in the service manual
Stock was 140 and 75 for main and pilot respectively
What's MOST odd is that if I close the high mixture screw all the way and apply throttle the ski continues to run. This is odd, corrrect? I would expect that by closing the high mixture screw all the way the ski would have almost no fuel under throttle and die (or at least struggle to run with limited fuel). It still accepts throttle and RPMs climb.

I did find that Atlantic Jet Sports carries the stock jets, just 5 or 6 bucks a piece so I'll probably order a 140 and 75 and get back to stock jetting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hope the update below helps someone in a similar situation.

Ordered Keihin OEM stock main and pilot jets (140 and 75 respectively) from Atlantic Jet Sports (big shout out to the team at Atlantic Jet Sports, they were SUPER helpful not only with parts ordering but even a little guidance on my problem over the phone). Using the service manual recommended turns on the High and Low speed mix screws as a starting point the ski started running MUCH better. Tweaked both the High/Low mix screws as well as the idle screw to dial it in as much as possible on land running with a flush kit. Both my High and Low screws have T handles on them so I was able to tweak the mixture screws on the water. The place we use our skis isn't real conducive to "on water diagnostics" so I wasn't able to do a full throttle pull with a plug chop technique. I did run the ski at various throttle positions and pulled the plugs at the waters edge just to get a quick sense of lean/rich. Ski ran GR8 after the rebuild and re-jetting. Very little smoke and good performance throughout the throttle range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts