Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 wave runner that I want to protect from freezing at the boathouse. I thought I could pour a gallon of antifreeze into the flush access but I don't want to pollute the lake in the spring. Is there some type of lake-safe biodegradable antifreeze that can be used?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The way the Yamaha's designed they don't need any antifreeze added. they self drain when removed from the water. You only need to start it and blip the throttle a couple times to blow excess water out of the exhaust. If you really want to use antifreeze though the camper potable antifreeze is what you can use. The only way to put it through the system though will require a small pump and about 3 to 4 gallons. Plus you'll need to close the cooling indeed line so all the antifreeze goes through the motor and not out the cooling infeed line.
On my GPr I put a small ball valve in the cooling line to allow me to flush better on the hose. This would also work for what you want to do. The valve is made by rainbird and can be ordered from home Depot. The valve is a 1/2" barbed ball valve. (See photo)
In photo the green color is the flush connector line. The blue is incoming cooling line and circled is the Y connection going to motor.

JUST BE SURE TO OPEN VALVE AFTER FLUSHING SO MOTOR DRAINS AND CHECK BEFORE LAUNCHING SO YOU DON'T FRY THE MOTOR.
IMG_20190730_104528.jpg
IMG_20180324_130820253.jpg

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Sorry for late post. Wrote the above last night. Thought I posted but I guess not. Still getting used to the new format.
I would also if you use the antifreeze flush from hose just to keep from putting to much directly in the lake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts