Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After charging the battery, cleaning the ski and getting her ready for the water, I tried starting. After a crack or two it started. It smoked a bit and ran better after a squeeze or two of the throttle. Then it started to race and won’t stop running fast. Tried restarting and the same thing happened.
Rebuilt the carbs last year and it ran great. Winterize and stored in the garage all winter.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not saying this is what's wrong with yours, but I had a similar situation on one of my GP1200s. I got the lean runaway while fogging during winterization last fall. This spring I rebuilt the carbs in an effort to fix the problem. I found a couple of damaged fuel pumps, presumably from backfire, but the freshened carbs didn't help. It turned out the backfire (which I didn't even hear) had blown the rear crank seals out. If your carbs check out, you might want to pressure test your crank case next.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not saying this is what's wrong with yours, but I had a similar situation on one of my GP1200s. I got the lean runaway while fogging during winterization last fall. This spring I rebuilt the carbs in an effort to fix the problem. I found a couple of damaged fuel pumps, presumably from backfire, but the freshened carbs didn't help. It turned out the backfire (which I didn't even hear) had blown the rear crank seals out. If your carbs check out, you might want to pressure test your crank case next.
Thanks....it’s going in the shop tomorrow just to be sure. The carbs look good and the throttle cable doesn’t have any slack or sticking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts