Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a jet ski, probably an older Kawasaki because that is what I can afford, and I heard they are illigal in Cali. Does anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am sure someone knows for sure, I but I think California made it illegal to use 2-stroke engines that burn oil, so it would just mean you need to buy a 4-stroke.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm pretty sure the restrictions in Cali. are on the sale of 2 stroke engined PWCs and outboards, not necessarily on their use. In otherwords, if you already own a 2 stroke ski you can go ahead and use it, but you could not buy one in Cali.

The real question would be if you buy a 2 stroke ski outside of Cali., would you be able to bring it into the state and register it? I'd contact the state boat registration agency to answer that question.

I have heard that there are some restricted lakes, that prohibit the use of 2 stroke PWC or outboards regardless of the official regulations, but I think they are few in number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am responding to the all the questions about whether or not 2 strokes are allowed. That the least of your problems. I moved down here from Washington, and the marine patrol people here are dicks. Esp at Belmont shores and Lake Pyramid. Its best to not go to those places. You have to check the website for each lake. There arnt that many lakes that don't allow them. Its just that there are very few that ride a stand up anymore. I was riding out in the ocean, but even after I starting flushing my ski out with the salt away stuff. It doesn't matter. You spend more time working on the ski than riding. After I get my ski going again, I am going to Lake Elsenore. I use to ride there like 25 years ago and I never had any problems. Lake Isabella is another good place, but the water level drops down to low.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hi I am responding to the all the questions about whether or not 2 strokes are allowed. That the least of your problems. I moved down here from Washington, and the marine patrol people here are dicks. Esp at Belmont shores and Lake Pyramid. Its best to not go to those places. You have to check the website for each lake. There arnt that many lakes that don't allow them. Its just that there are very few that ride a stand up anymore. I was riding out in the ocean, but even after I starting flushing my ski out with the salt away stuff. It doesn't matter. You spend more time working on the ski than riding. After I get my ski going again, I am going to Lake Elsenore. I use to ride there like 25 years ago and I never had any problems. Lake Isabella is another good place, but the water level drops down to low.
So it is legal to operate a 2 stroke in Cali just can't buy them? Why is it so bad there? You can ride year round can't beat that with a stick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes it is still legal to operate a 2 stroke here in Cali. You can still buy them here. The lakes are not open here all year round. And depending on the amount of rain in the winter, if we had little rain the water level will be low and the small lakes turn into puddles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The law against buying a 2-stroke is only for new skis from the dealership. Once the ski has been registered once you can buy and sell it all day long. As far as riding, the ocean is an incredible place to ride with very little regulation. Finding a place to launch isn't very hard either and some harbors even have free launch ramps. If you would rather stay away from salt then there are plenty of lakes where 2-strokes are still allowed. Always check the lake's website before going because there are just as many lakes where they are banned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know a lot about the restrictions in California because I'm a California native who spends almost all his free time researching this stuff. If people have questions on what is and isn't allowed in California send them my way

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's perfectly legal to buy and sell already registered 2-strokes -- the kicker is whether or not the lakes will allow use of 2 strokes. The ones we go to are all 2-stroke legal but I've heard that more and more are allowing 4-stroke only -- Lake Tahoe for example. But, thinking about it, most people who own, own two strokes and disallowing 2 strokes state-wide would be a bad economic move.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts