Personal Water Craft Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
The only place they have a "rep" for being unreliable is on pwctoday but that place is so full of idiots I just stopped posting there. They also bash on Hondas a lot. In fact they bash on all "couches."

Don't get me wrong there are some really great people there like Bill O'Neil but the group of dillweeds ruin the site.

Anyways if SeaDoos were unreliable why did the first man who crossed the atlantic on a pwc do it on a Doo? It was an XP. Also yesterday we had a new member join the forum who is touring the great lakes with a fleet of SeaDoos. That should say something.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
they also lead all competitors in Tecnology with the IBR drive by wire system , brakes, S-3 hull and fit & finish.
I do not think that drive-by-wire helps any whatsoever for the rider/owner. I laugh everytime I see the seadoo brake demonstration. I keep thinking to myself. TURN!........... TURN!............. Why doesn't he TURN? Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much keeping Seadoo in the mix and maybe it's moved up to the lead search :dunno:

Thanks Outlaw. I dont want to jack this guys thread but I am glad to hear someone that is happy with their doo. The thing is that about 80% of the used market here is Seadoo products and my own personal experience has been great with the speedster. The engines are still running great and always have. I was going to do the top ends a couple of winters ago and when I checked compression they were all equal and well within spec. The only issue ever, was caused by sucking up some sand/gravel and having to change impellers.
I personally am not brand loyal at all, I dont care what the name is on it as long as it performs well and is reliable. Thanks for describing your experience with Seadoo. I really wish I knew how they got the rep for being unreliable. It seems that maybe because they are so popular they are experiencing a backlash by cynical types who tend to bash anything except their brand??

Don't worry, I felt bad starting my own thread. I searched after I posted and seems like every newbie that starts a thread is either complaining about a problem with their PWC or asking what the should buy for a new rig. We can share this thread and I'll tell ya if you're hijacking :D

·
Registered
811 Posts
IBR is just not brakes....

Don't be so quick to cast judgement Artic. You haven't used the system. Look at my Avitar. That big rooster tail is the IBR system in use at 68 mph. There is no safe way to turn hard enough at that speed. Now back to the brakes, agreed that they are not something you slam on and hope for the best, nor would you on your Cat. Try riding your sled with no brakes and just turning to stop LOL. Nor would you just slam on the brakes , when the speed dropped you would steer. Now the proper way to use the brakes is at 40 - 68 mph just to slow the momentum down to where you can safely use the throttle to turn for avoidance of hazards. Kind of a rapid speed drop then steering with throttle. More importantly is the Intelligent throttle and shifting. effortless throttle resistance, electronic shifting allows you hover in place for docking ease.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only place they have a "rep" for being unreliable is on pwctoday but that place is so full of idiots I just stopped posting there. They also bash on Hondas a lot. In fact they bash on all "couches."

Don't get me wrong there are some really great people there like Bill O'Neil but the group of dillweeds ruin the site.

Anyways if SeaDoos were unreliable why did the first man who crossed the atlantic on a pwc do it on a Doo? It was an XP. Also yesterday we had a new member join the forum who is touring the great lakes with a fleet of SeaDoos. That should say something.
Your absolutely right on. This is the first place I looked for info on used skis and I found more testosterone fueled trash talk then any meaningful evidence pointing out long term reliability issues with particular PWC's. Then I stumbled upon a thread where they were just beating on some guy with a sick wife....because he was looking for a cheap cover and appeared to be playing a sympathy card ??? It was brutal.
I signed on here after reading that nastiness !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't be so quick to cast judgement Artic. You haven't used the system. Look at my Avitar. That big rooster tail is the IBR system in use at 68 mph. There is no safe way to turn hard enough at that speed. Now back to the brakes, agreed that they are not something you slam on and hope for the best, nor would you on your Cat. Try riding your sled with no brakes and just turning to stop LOL. Nor would you just slam on the brakes , when the speed dropped you would steer. Now the proper way to use the brakes is at 40 - 68 mph just to slow the momentum down to where you can safely use the throttle to turn for avoidance of hazards. Kind of a rapid speed drop then steering with throttle. More importantly is the Intelligent throttle and shifting. effortless throttle resistance, electronic shifting allows you hover in place for docking ease.:thumbsup:
I was thinking the same thing as Arctic (turn, turn....!) when I saw the seadoo promo vid. You raise a great point Outlaw regarding the over 40mph benefit of that brake system. A newbie like me has only rented or driven low performance skis and never thought about the physics of trying to avoid something by turning at 60mph. It makes perfect sense to scrub off speed and then turn and they should show that in the BRP promo vid. Id like to see a course set up where an average rider has to run flat out and turn 90* on command, in the shortest possible distance, using both the ibs and standard technique.
This thread has been quite beneficial for alot of (new to pwc's) shoppers like Arctic and I and I hope it continues .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You raise a great point Outlaw regarding the over 40mph benefit of that brake system. A newbie like me has only rented or driven low performance skis and never thought about the physics of trying to avoid something by turning at 60mph. It makes perfect sense to scrub off speed and then turn and they should show that in the BRP promo vid.
The ad clearly states "stop 100' sooner than the competition"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi My name is Brian. I'm an AVID snowmobiler (maybe even obsessive), I own a ATV and work on my own stuff. I'm not new to this sport as I've owned a Kawi 650sx standup(my fav), a 650 tigershark(yawn) and a Kawi ZXI 900 (piston eater). I've been trolling around here some and have been tinkering with the idea of getting a PWC (I guess I erroneously call them JetSki's). So the other day my buddy drags home 2 new 2007 holdover Aquatrax F12x's. MAN did that get me fired up to get one! BUT I for the life of me cannot figure out what to get. My research has kinda narrowed it down to Yamaha and Kawasaki based upon their reputation and the availability of dealers.

I found this one:
View attachment 881
It is a 2006 Yammi VX1100 and has <70 hrs on it and they want $5,500 with trailer and 4 life jackets.

I hate like hell to ask this question because on my snowmobile forums it would turn into a brand pissing match BUT, Is this a good machine? Is that price a good deal? What would you recommend? Will I look like a grandma driving around on my slow ski with my buddies F12's flashing buy every two seconds? Thanks for your insight:D
I bought a 2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser with only 23 hours on it for $5,700 last May 2010, but it didn't include the trailer. Everyone was telling me I got a good deal. I've had it now for a little ofver a year and never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Found a mint 01 gtx 130hp. Only problem is it has 330 hrs. Any chance it could last the summer ? I am going to check the compression tomorrow but it runs hard and looks showroom so is it possible that a 951 could last 400- 500 hrs before a top end job?
I cant find any Yamahas anywhere around here by the way. How about you Arctic, did you find any prospects yet?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Found a mint 01 gtx 130hp. Only problem is it has 330 hrs. Any chance it could last the summer ? I am going to check the compression tomorrow but it runs hard and looks showroom so is it possible that a 951 could last 400- 500 hrs before a top end job?
I cant find any Yamahas anywhere around here by the way. How about you Arctic, did you find any prospects yet?
Yes it is. I had a 96 GSX 800 with over 600 hours. The original owner did alot of half throttle long distance touring.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How about you Arctic, did you find any prospects yet?
Well I actually did purchase one yesterday. I found a 2008 RXT 215hp Sea-doo with 59 hours on it. It was at a dealership 3 1/2 hours away from here. I called them and they were very informative and accomodating. The machine was from a repeat customer of theirs and this was the 3rd or 4th rig they had sold to him. I looked it over very thouroghly and I could only find 2 thumbnail size marks on the stickers (not the gelcoat) and a small cut in the foam on the step in the rear. Other than that, the thing seems to be in pretty amazing shape. They let me take it to the missippi river to test ride it and one of the mechanics drove me there and he was full of good information and was reassuring that this thing was well cared for. I kinda went slightly over my original budget :D I guess I couldn't resist and it actually matches my truck quite nicely IMHO.
RXT trailered.jpg
RXT garaged.jpg

One thing worth mentioning for searching for PWC's or anything for that matter is the craigslist app on the smartphones is EXCELLENT. It's simple, and you setup automatic searches that run on designated intervales. Even though I didn't find this particular ski there, that app threw a lot of options at me!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Congrats with your new Seadoo, must feel nice to be riding the best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes it is. I had a 96 GSX 800 with over 600 hours. The original owner did alot of half throttle long distance touring.
I have heard great things about the 800 however this is the 951 DI that people tend to have problems with. Any thoughts on the 2001 model year 130 hp GTX as a candidate to rack up over 400hrs without a rebuild?

My choices right now are between a 2000 GSX rfi with a new engine by the dealer and 70hrs total time or the above mentioned 2001 GTX with 330 hrs.

I like the thought of having the 130hp DI engine to help pull up my kids on the wake board and ski. Is there a big difference in acceleration between a 130hp gtx and a 110hp gsx?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Congrats with your new Seadoo, must feel nice to be riding the best.
Hey outlaw, what's your favorite brand of watercraft? I was just wondering:D

Well Arctic, Looks like all is right in your world....AC sled, Seadoo Ski, both being towed by a Chevy!
Actually it's a GMC but who's keeping track. lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes my favorite PWCs are SEADOO!!!!! :dunno: Did the RXT run the numbers I gave you??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
By the way, how much for that ski with the trailer? (feel free to lie if your wife/GF is monitoring this thread..)
Pm sent
Yes my favorite PWCs are SEADOO!!!!! :dunno: Did the RXT run the numbers I gave you??
It ran 79-8200 rpms at 64-68 on speedo. When it caught some air at that speed it would slow slightly and then speed back up. I'm assuming I'm hitting the "chip"?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Pm sent

It ran 79-8200 rpms at 64-68 on speedo. When it caught some air at that speed it would slow slightly and then speed back up. I'm assuming I'm hitting the "chip"?
The slowing was the fact your intake grate lost contact with the water and had to build back up, You probably did hit the ecu limiter. Runs good for a stock 3 seater:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
The slowing was the fact your intake grate lost contact with the water and had to build back up, You probably did hit the ecu limiter. Runs good for a stock 3 seater:D
I actually went into the test ride thinking I was going to be really impressed with the top speed and during the ride I couldn't get over how fast it accelerates:eek:

Maybe a scoop grate would keep it digging?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts