Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - had SeaDoo jet boats in the past and was hoping to buy another boat but the used prices have gone crazy here in Australia. What I could have paid $6-8k for a year or so ago are now going for closer to $15k !!
So with a budget of $10k (absolute max) I am thinking I may be better off with a PWC.
Looking to use it for towing the young kids and teenagers on inflatables and knee boards and maybe wakeboards.
Will be used offshore but only when it is calm - we get a lot of dead calm days where I am.
I will also take it out for some jumping etc.
Where I live is fairly remote so I don't have a lot of options and may have to travel 250miles to Perth to look at some.
But there is one that has come up for sale locally (well its over 60mi away but that is definitely classed as local around here). Does this look like a good option and a reasonable buy : Yamaha wave runner FXSH0 2009 | Jet Skis | Gumtree Australia Northampton Area - Kalbarri | 1282054761
I have asked seller if it has service history or any upgrades and for photos of hull repair. Will definitely get a pre-purchase inspection done too.
Anybody have any recommendations of PWCs to put on a short list ?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found a 2008 FX-SHO about 4 or so years ago for $5600, it just had $1456 dollars spent on it at the last service, I spoke to the Dealer that did the servicing and they told me it was a good Ski as they had serviced it from new and it had been done every 50 hours, the Ski had done 275 hours when I purchased it.
It's now done almost double that and I kept up the servicing at my local Dealer.
I got it to pull a large three man Tube as well as Skiers/Wakeboard and Hydra slides as I have five Grand Children and three Adult children, being a three seater, I can carry two grand kids about as well as tow any combination of the previous items as being Supercharged, it has the power to do anything I throw at it.
The advantage of getting a second hand one was that I saved over $20K as a new one was around $26K, I spent around $5K on the Ski which brought it up to be faster than a new Ski :)
My friend bought a Supercharged 2009 Seadoo, he got it only recently but wouldn't have paid a lot for it as he is a scrooge, it's in pretty good nick for it's age, but he doesn't know it's hours as the gauges don't work.
It's not close to how fast my Stock SHO was, but rides nice and cruises on the same speed as me when Island hoping.
We do Moreton Bay mostly and I take my Son out with me Fishing now and again if the Fish are biting as we can get to a lot of spots a Boat can't and we can get closer to some spots as the Jet Ski has a very shallow draft, it's also a lot quieter than most outboards, only the electric ones are quieter :)
I have noticed that everything has gone silly thanks to Covid and the New Ski shortage as some people are selling their Ski for more than they were new as they can't wait and probably have more money than sense ;).
Any FX-SHO you can get for a good price that has low hours and a full service history will do you very well, I wouldn't trade my 2008 for any of the new ones as they would need to spend money above the new cost to be as powerful as mine as well as handle as well as mine.
You definitely have to take the Ski for a test run and it must start first kick and not make any funny noises, it shouldn't cavitate if the pump and impeller are in good condition and the Gauges must work and show hours, also make sure you get both FOBS for the Ski.
Also check the hull for any repairs as well as check before and after a water test to see how much water is in the hull :) The engine compartment should look nice and clean.
The early FX-SHO all use standard fuel, this saves a lot of money if you are happy with a stock Ski, I normally go through about 70 litres to 90 litres on a good day and everyone will be well and truly tired on a 90 litre day :).
The Stock 2008/2009 have about 215hp as they only have around a 6lb boost, you can get the Low boost wheel installed that will bring it up to about 9lbs to 14lbs depending on RPM as they develop more HP the faster they rev so getting a tune that increases the Revs to 8100 also increase the top end HP, I prefer the HP down low to get better hole shot.
If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a 2008 FX-SHO about 4 or so years ago for $5600, it just had $1456 dollars spent on it at the last service, I spoke to the Dealer that did the servicing and they told me it was a good Ski as they had serviced it from new and it had been done every 50 hours, the Ski had done 275 hours when I purchased it.
It's now done almost double that and I kept up the servicing at my local Dealer.
I got it to pull a large three man Tube as well as Skiers/Wakeboard and Hydra slides as I have five Grand Children and three Adult children, being a three seater, I can carry two grand kids about as well as tow any combination of the previous items as being Supercharged, it has the power to do anything I throw at it.
The advantage of getting a second hand one was that I saved over $20K as a new one was around $26K, I spent around $5K on the Ski which brought it up to be faster than a new Ski :)
My friend bought a Supercharged 2009 Seadoo, he got it only recently but wouldn't have paid a lot for it as he is a scrooge, it's in pretty good nick for it's age, but he doesn't know it's hours as the gauges don't work.
It's not close to how fast my Stock SHO was, but rides nice and cruises on the same speed as me when Island hoping.
We do Moreton Bay mostly and I take my Son out with me Fishing now and again if the Fish are biting as we can get to a lot of spots a Boat can't and we can get closer to some spots as the Jet Ski has a very shallow draft, it's also a lot quieter than most outboards, only the electric ones are quieter :)
I have noticed that everything has gone silly thanks to Covid and the New Ski shortage as some people are selling their Ski for more than they were new as they can't wait and probably have more money than sense ;).
Any FX-SHO you can get for a good price that has low hours and a full service history will do you very well, I wouldn't trade my 2008 for any of the new ones as they would need to spend money above the new cost to be as powerful as mine as well as handle as well as mine.
You definitely have to take the Ski for a test run and it must start first kick and not make any funny noises, it shouldn't cavitate if the pump and impeller are in good condition and the Gauges must work and show hours, also make sure you get both FOBS for the Ski.
Also check the hull for any repairs as well as check before and after a water test to see how much water is in the hull :) The engine compartment should look nice and clean.
The early FX-SHO all use standard fuel, this saves a lot of money if you are happy with a stock Ski, I normally go through about 70 litres to 90 litres on a good day and everyone will be well and truly tired on a 90 litre day :).
The Stock 2008/2009 have about 215hp as they only have around a 6lb boost, you can get the Low boost wheel installed that will bring it up to about 9lbs to 14lbs depending on RPM as they develop more HP the faster they rev so getting a tune that increases the Revs to 8100 also increase the top end HP, I prefer the HP down low to get better hole shot.
If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask :)
Thanks for the info :)
Unfortunately the ski i was thinking about sold :(
But I have done a bit more research and leaning towards an 1800cc VX.- there was one advertised locally for $7k with 242 hrs on it and decided that was the one for me - but it got sold too :cry:
There is an FZR SHO for sale down in Perth but it is modified and not sure it is the proper ski for what I want but man its tempting cos I am a hoon :LOL:

So cheers again for the info and I will keep looking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info :)
Unfortunately the ski i was thinking about sold :(
But I have done a bit more research and leaning towards an 1800cc VX.- there was one advertised locally for $7k with 242 hrs on it and decided that was the one for me - but it got sold too :cry:
There is an FZR SHO for sale down in Perth but it is modified and not sure it is the proper ski for what I want but man its tempting cos I am a hoon :LOL:

So cheers again for the info and I will keep looking.
As long as it has the service History and low hours, mods don't do damage to a Ski, all my Mods made the Ski more economical, run cooler, handle better and also all added a little more HP, the Map Tuner X I bought also allowed me to re-tune the Ski to run how I wanted it to, I also upgraded the Pump and Impeller to be more useful for what I used the Ski.
My Ski does a little over 75mph and gets there in about 3 or so seconds lol.

At present any decent Ski with History and a reasonable price will go pretty quickly.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the description - doesn't say what year it is though :

Yamaha Waverunner FZR SHO
1.8L Supercharged
200hrs
Ski and Trailer Registered
Immaculate Condition
Professionally serviced every 15hrs
Flushed after every ride with salt away
Jumps out of the water when you hit the throttle - bring a change of underwear
Never seen another one in this condition
Comes with life jackets, flares, sand anchor

Performance Parts:
Riva Racing Pro fins
Riva Racing Pod Air Filter
Riva Racing straight through free flow exhaust (REALLY Loud)
Worx Intake Grate
Worx Ride plate
R&D Fuel Controller
Aftermarket tune
Aftermarket water box
Aftermarket blowoff valve
Aftermarket Fuel injectors
Solas Jet pump
Solas Impeller
Brand new aftermarket clutch for supercharger

Sounds like a beast but being an FZR and only 2 seater not sure it is the right ski for doing "family" days. Although as a selfish buy it would be awesome :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Almost exactly the same as mine, just a different model as mine is a three seater, a two seater is lighter so would be faster with the same HP :)
200 hrs is nothing, I am not sure if he meant 50 hors or 15 as 15 is a bit to often :) 50 hrs or once a year is more than enough.
If it's a good price, ask him the year model ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend bought a Supercharged 2009 Seadoo, he got it only recently but wouldn't have paid a lot for it as he is a scrooge, it's in ranboo merch pretty plush nick for it's age, but he doesn't know it's hours as the gauges don't work.
Real Good.
They're a blast to ride but you have to use your head and lol please pay attention all around you in every direction, you'd be amazed at the number of accidents that involve PWCs that are caused by the PWC turning into another vessel. And please always wear your PFD it's not only the law on PWCs but it's just a plain food idea, you don't have a big ole boat around you to protect you from things and falling off can knock the wind straight outbid you in a hurry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Real Good.
They're a blast to ride but you have to use your head and lol please pay attention all around you in every direction, you'd be amazed at the number of accidents that involve PWCs that are caused by the PWC turning into another vessel. And please always wear your PFD it's not only the law on PWCs but it's just a plain food idea, you don't have a big ole boat around you to protect you from things and falling off can knock the wind straight outbid you in a hurry.
Thanks - unfortunately I missed out on several boats that were suitable and am still looking.
Wouldn't even think about going out with PFDs. We will pretty much have the skiing area to ourselves as it is only a small town and hardly anyone skis - they are all into fishing :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts