Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new to the forum.

I am into quads and fast cars so I know my way around an engine, I have also rebuilt a small engine and also a built Eagle Talon Tsi.

Next weekend I am going to go check out a 96 Waveblaster and I was wondering what I should look for? The guy said it runs strong starts right up. It has after market riva ride plate and a new battery.

I probibly am going to do a compression test when I get there, what are some strong numbers I should be seeing? Also, is there anything I should check for as far as leaking seals somwhere? Or do you know of any most common problems to look for?

Thanks ,
Look forward to hearing from you all!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome

Hey all new to the forum.

I am into quads and fast cars so I know my way around an engine, I have also rebuilt a small engine and also a built Eagle Talon Tsi.

Next weekend I am going to go check out a 96 Waveblaster and I was wondering what I should look for? The guy said it runs strong starts right up. It has after market riva ride plate and a new battery.

I probibly am going to do a compression test when I get there, what are some strong numbers I should be seeing? Also, is there anything I should check for as far as leaking seals somwhere? Or do you know of any most common problems to look for?

Thanks ,
Look forward to hearing from you all!
:welcome: to the forum. I am kinda new here also. I also am into fast stuff. I used to drag race snowmobiles in upstate New York. Got a 2003 Z06 Corvette, 29 " Outlaw with twin /454 mags. My fastest ski is my 2006 RXT with a RIVA Stage Three kit making approx 300 HP @ 8400 RPMS. Tops out between 75-77 MPH.

I don't too much about YAMAHA but my buddy Ernest T., who is in this forum does. He will be along soon, if it says Yamaha he will respond. But
your compression test should be over 135 lbs and not more than 10 lbs apart.
What is your budget for a ski. I can help you with the newer Seadoo's

Nice meeting and good luck with your purchase.

See Ya:062:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Save youself lots of trouble and take it for a test ride. You can run the engine and test the compression and that part may be great, but there is no way to test the pump system except by running it in the water.

If it starts cold, transitions well from high to low throttle and back, does not bog in the turns, doesn't smoke excessively, all while you ride it, you can be a lot more sure you have a sound ski.

Other than that look for cracks in hull and hoses, ask when the carb was last rebuilt, has the top end been rebuilt, hours of use, used in salt water, look for corrosion, look at impeller and wear ring with flashlight for dents, wear.

Fairly popular engine, so parts are available if needed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks! It would be a 2 hour drive to look at it so I was just thinking of stuff to have him look over before hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts