Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 2000 GP1200r which was locked up due to water in the engine. I pulled the engine and found that the number 3 cylinder was run lean but also could have been due to a air leak which leaned out the last cylinder. It burnt a whole in the piston Pitted the riva 41cc head and scared the sleeve bad on that cylinder. I was looking for parts to try and get it back up and going. If anyone happens to have any Please dont hesitate to let me know.

thanks,

·
Registered
323 Posts
has it got steel bores or is it a standard nickalsil bore?? Those things never get air leaks. It will be a carb or oil issue. Also check the YPVS to make sure they are operating properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there an easy way to tell the two apart. All three cylinders have engraving on them like they were machined at a shop or re nickalsiled a little odd for only having 94 hours on the ski. The next question I have is did he do standard bore of bore it over. Unfortunatly I am unable to make out what it reads. The guy I bought it from is unsure he bought it from an older gentleman who put a lot a money into the ski and sold it after it threw him over the handlebars injuring him. Is it possible to run the v66 PV heads with a steal bore and not the nickalsil bore. Its very possible it was the carbs, he installed a new set of Riva Power Bomb Carbs and said it happend shortly after they were installed. I noticed when I pulled the motor that the gas lines to the carbs were very hard and a few with slight movement leaked to the carb with the bad cylinder. The lower part of the cyinder where it meats the crank case looke as if it had been seeping but not 100 percent sure. Power valves all seem to be fine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Generally these motors never get air leaks. It would be a surprise to me if it were the problem. I would say the carbs may be dirty or too lean. You will have to pull them apart and have a look. You will be able to see if the bores are an insert or if the cylinder and bore are all one piece. You can put steel bores in but it requires much different carb jetting. I would highly recommend to stick to nickalsil bores even if they are more expensive short term, because steel bores will cost you everytime you blow the motor from them. You see, the steel bores run much hotter, and this engine with the wall thickness of the water jackets was designed to run pretty cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts