Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I've never owned a pwc, but recently decided to buy one and have fun with it.

Here's features I'm looking for:

1. can seat two people
2. powerful enough to pull a person on a wakeboard
3. be reliable

My budget is 3000 and was wondering if it's possible to find a reliable used jetski/skidoo and what year/model you would recommend? As I said I'm a total newbie so I thank you for all your advice in advance.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
For 3K you would probably be looking at 1998-2003 Yamaha 800s and 1200s (maybe a 1300) 2 stroke machines, as the most reliable choices. There will also be Kawasaki and Seadoos in this price range, but not as reliable IMO.

If you could go up to 4K you might be able to find a 2002-2005 Honda F12(X) or 2005-2006 Yamaha VX, which are 4 strokes, and even better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For 3K you would probably be looking at 1998-2003 Yamaha 800s and 1200s (maybe a 1300) 2 stroke machines, as the most reliable choices. There will also be Kawasaki and Seadoos in this price range, but not as reliable IMO.

If you could go up to 4K you might be able to find a 2002-2005 Honda F12(X) or 2005-2006 Yamaha VX, which are 4 strokes, and even better.

Thank you very much for your reply. 800s, 1200s and 1300s are the model names or engine sizes? Is honda more reliable than yamaha?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply. 800s, 1200s and 1300s are the model names or engine sizes? Is honda more reliable than yamaha?
Yes those are engine sizes, and Yamaha made various 2 stroke models in those engine sizes (for example XLT800, XLT1200, GP800R, GP1200, etc.).

Honda didn't start making skis until 2002 and they stopped production in 2009 (at least temporarily). Hondas are all 4 strokes, and all the other manufacturers have essentially dropped the 2 stroke engine and are now producing 4 strokes as well (like the Yamaha VX I mentioned). There are basically 2 Honda models, so they are easy to keep up with: the F12 and the newer F15 (both models come with or without a turbo charger (X) is added to the model number to indicate the turbo).

I'd say that most would agree that Yamaha is probably the most reliable maker of skis maybe just because they have been around so long, with Honda a close second (there have been some problems with the Honda turbo charged models). Most ski rental business use the Yamaha VX ski now for its durability and reliability. Kawasaki and Seadoo aslo make some very good skis, but don't enjoy the same relibility status of the Yamahas and Hondas. I would't rule out a Kawasaki or Seadoo if you can find a good deal on one, and have someone knowledgeable check it out.

With a 3K limit you will be hard pressed to find a used 4 stroke ski from Honda or Yamaha with the exception of skis with very high hours (rentals, etc.).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes those are engine sizes, and Yamaha made various 2 stroke models in those engine sizes (for example XLT800, XLT1200, GP800R, GP1200, etc.).

Honda didn't start making skis until 2002 and they stopped production in 2009 (at least temporarily). Hondas are all 4 strokes, and all the other manufacturers have essentially dropped the 2 stroke engine and are now producing 4 strokes as well (like the Yamaha VX I mentioned). There are basically 2 Honda models, so they are easy to keep up with: the F12 and the newer F15 (both models come with or without a turbo charger (X) is added to the model number to indicate the turbo).

I'd say that most would agree that Yamaha is probably the most reliable maker of skis maybe just because they have been around so long, with Honda a close second (there have been some problems with the Honda turbo charged models). Most ski rental business use the Yamaha VX ski now for its durability and reliability. Kawasaki and Seadoo aslo make some very good skis, but don't enjoy the same relibility status of the Yamahas and Hondas. I would't rule out a Kawasaki or Seadoo if you can find a good deal on one, and have someone knowledgeable check it out.

With a 3K limit you will be hard pressed to find a used 4 stroke ski from Honda or Yamaha with the exception of skis with very high hours (rentals, etc.).

Thank you so much for taking time and replying with such an informative reply. I really appreciate your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts