Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a 3 seater PWC but have no idea which one or what make to keep my eye out for. Can any one give me advice on which one would be ideal for me and my family. We might also two a tube or a skier with it also.We are looking for a 2000-present PWC. Any advice wpuld be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
regards-
Jumar

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Your best bet for what you are wanting to do is to buy either a Kawasaki or Yamaha 3 seater that is at least a 1200 cc motor. Kawasaki and Yamaha have been around the longest and have the best technology. They are also by far the most reliable and are the easiest to find parts for. Yes Polaris and Sea Doo also make popular jet ski's but they are not as reliable. Same with all of the other brands too.

The things to look for are has the ski been ridden in fresh water or salt water? If any salt water at all, what did they do to maintain it afterwards? A very minimum should be the engine was flushed out while running for at least 15 minutes with hose water and the engine compartment should also have been washed out and rinsed then sprayed with WD-40. How many hours are on it? If your buying used, the lesser the better. Anything over 100 hours, I would stay away from because chances are, at those hours, you are getting close to replaces pricey parts. Yes some will last well into several hundred hours with no problems but for a used ski, there is not a huge savings so find something with low hours for the same amount of money. How has the ski been stored and in what weather? If it has been garaged, that is good but if it has been left outside and exposed to the elements, that will also really effect a ski. What kind of preventative maintenance has been done to it? Has the ski ever sunk or has water ever gotten into the engine? If so, move on to the next ski! Check the impeller for damage along with the drive shaft. It's amazing that every time I go to the lake, there is some idiot buzzing his ski right next to the shore line in less than 3 feet of water. All that idiot is doing is sucking up sand through his impeller and damaging it. Does it start up good even when cold? Also, put it in the water and test it! One these motors have a water load on them, they can run very differently. Even if you only watch the owner ride it, you can at least tell it runs good in the water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your replies

thanks for all the advice and tips on what to look for. im completely new to the PWC world and im trying my best to make a wise buy. I need to find ways to learn how to check the impeller for damage along with the drive shaft. I also need to learn how to check the compression of the pistons. Im a jet mechanic and a car mechanic so i could probably figure it out, but can you give me some tips on how to do this? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
You check the compression the same way you do it on a car. With the impeller and drive shaft, they are underneath the ski at the rear and you can examine them when the ski is on a trailer or stand. Just look up through the intake grate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A rule to live by

Take it from me. RUN IT IN WATER! Before any purchase. A watercraft can run out of water but totally dog out in water. Take my advise, it cost me $3000.

On the other note JayDawg is right....and the reason my purchase last thursday was a Kawasaki STX 1500CC, I wanted the STX-15F but didn't want to pay $1100 bones more for reverse (yea, reverse in a watercraft?) and a fancy seat. I pulled a tube last weekend better than a boat (better turns) with no problem. Got it up to 55 mph, but it was early in the AM and practically no waves (Don't tell the Rangers).

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts