Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling to figure out why I'm not getting between 30 and 50 volts from the charge coil. I found a reasonable deal on a new stator assembly so I changed that out thinking it would fix the issue. Perhaps I'm not troubleshooting correctly. Here is what I'm doing:

• Disconnected CDI
  • Set volt meter to AC
  • Connected volt meter to brown wire with white hash (barely see the white hash) and ground. I'm assuming it doesn't matter that the ground wire from the stator assembly is still connected with all of the other ground wires.
  • When cranking, the Max reading I receive is six volts AC. Also, I tested the orange wire when the CDI was still connected and I would get 15 volts DC. I believe it supposed to be 105 volts.

I suppose the charge coil could still be bad, but it doesn't seem likely. Resistance is within spec on charge and pulse coil. Is it possible there is a problem with the flywheel and magnets?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put the old stator assembly on, ran a separate ground wire from the battery to the electrical box. Checking the brown and ground wire from the stator assembly I get the same results. The magnets seems fine as they will hold a screw driver to them, that was pretty far fetched anyways. I still get < 6 volts when cranking the engine with no spark plugs in the hole. Unless the engine simply isn't turning over fast enough to produce more voltage, it still seems like it has to be the charge coil. Other thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts