Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Jet Ski World. I am getting a Seadoo GTX 170, will be Only running it in Fresh Water. What do you recommend for maintenance after each ride. My goal is to keep this Ski in Tip-Top shape. Thanks in adance for your replies.
Marc5

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
After every ride flush with fresh/hose water. Wash the outside. Rinse out the inside if there is water present from riding. Vacuum dry inside if needed to remove all water that didn't drain. And leave seat off and compartments open for a bit to dry out the inside. Some spray the inside with WD-40 or equivalent but I don't like the mess it makes. So I don't.

I wash the inside with Dawn dish soap and a rag a couple times a season. Then dry it out.

Other than that just follow the lube intervals/instructions in the manual. Midshaft, cables, steering. ECT.... And you should be good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After every ride flush with fresh/hose water. Wash the outside. Rinse out the inside if there is water present from riding. Vacuum dry inside if needed to remove all water that didn't drain. And leave seat off and compartments open for a bit to dry out the inside. Some spray the inside with WD-40 or equivalent but I don't like the mess it makes. So I don't.

I wash the inside with Dawn dish soap and a rag a couple times a season. Then dry it out.

Other than that just follow the lube intervals/instructions in the manual. Midshaft, cables, steering. ECT.... And you should be good to go.

Thank you for the tips on After-Ride Care.
Marc/St.George,Utah

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the tips on After-Ride Care.
Marc/St.George,Utah
If you can put up with an inch or two of water in the hull while riding, put in some water and add some simple green or dishwasher powder (For machines that wash dishes) and let it slosh around inside the hull while riding for a few minutes. It will self clean the inside of the hull, and bilge itself out. Don't do it with anything that will make suds. Try spraying everything down with silicone spray instead of WD-40, its a little less mess but keeps corrosion away. Also, spray up inside the pump housing and around the steering cable connection on the exit nozzle. Even if it looks dry inside the engine compartment, prop it open a couple inches with a 6" piece of 2x4 while it is stored to keep mold or gasoline fumes from building up. Also keep any other compartments or underseat storage propped open a little.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't be bothered with flushing the Engine if you are in a dam or actual fresh water as tap water is way worse than rain water.
Tap water has chlorine and fluoride as well as calcium which can build up scale as it does in your Bathroom and Kitchen.
The whole reason to flush a Ski is if you went into salt water to remove the salt lol.
The rest of his suggestions are fine, only doing fresh water lowers a lot of the required maintenance as the corrosion levels drop drastically.
I wouldn't have gone SeaDoo but it's your choice, your manual will tell you service requirements and most Skis have a 50 to 100 hours oil change requirement.
Cables won't be as much of an issue only doing fresh water.
The only reason people spray their engines down with WD-40 or Inox is to stop corrosion after running in salt.
If you run in salt water, it can get over areas you may not be able to flush really well and hopefully using a corrosion stopping spray will seep or creep into those areas.
I had to replace every single hose clamp in my 11 year old FX-SHO as they weren't Stainless steel to start with and had corroded to the point of uselessness.
That was a fun time as trying to find where every hose clamp is took some time.
My Ski had been flushed and sprayed every single time I went out and yet the clamps still corroded, so no matter what you do corrosion from Salt water is the main problem.
Also as an aside just ask your mechanic next time you get the Ski serviced, what is required after running in fresh water that we all end up drinking once the Council turn it into toxic waste with all the chemicals they put into it ;)
I have known friends that had boats that never flushed their engines and had no problems with them for 15 years, I have known others that have done the ritual to a tee every single time flushed polished cleaned and yet blown up their engines from a faulty hose clamp or hose.
My Ski is serviced every 50 hours and yet I had a hose clamp die on me as well as a hose, lucky my Ski has a beeper and red light that tells me if the engine is getting to warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts