Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I hope you're all doing well..... I was trying to get some help in regards to maintenance and figured I'd start here.....

I am buying a 2011 FZR and a 2010 FX SHO cruiser, my problem is that I'm getting them overseas, and my dealer is really not the best when it comes to maintenance issues. So I'd have to do all the maintenance work by myself, or get some mechanics to help me out, nevertheless I'm trying my best to get much more knowledgeable when it comes to maintaining and technically dealing with jetskies.

I've slightly worked on GP1200Rs before so I'm not totally clueless, but this is gonna be the first time I go more in depth.

I've already got the service manuals for both the skies and I'm in the process of buying all the necessary greases, lubes and any required fluids relevant to maintenance. Due to the fact that not all the fluids can be purchased in the country, I might have to ship a couple from a different location and was hence wondering if any body can help me create a comprehensive list of fluids to order. I'm in a way creating my own maintenance location from scratch.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is my list:

--10W-40 oil (Yamalube would be my preference for new skis). Yamaha just came out with a synthetic oil they recommend for the supercharged engines.
--Oil filters
--Spark plugs
--Loctite 572 needed for ignition coil bolts when you change the plugs (Permatex 592 also works).
--Other Loctite (blue) for other bolts
--Marine grease - brand of your choice
--Yamaha Lubezall - works good for lubing the cables and other mechanical parts inside the ski. Don't forget to buy a cable luber, I like one like this: Yamaha Cable Luber Deluxe
--Silicone spray for coating non metal stuff inside the ski
--Anti-corrosion spray: I like a product called Corrosion X. It is used by the US military to protect their aircraft. It is also dielectric so you can spray it on electrical stuff. Unfortunately, it may be hard to find overseas. Other options are CRC-656, Fluid Film, etc.. If you ride in salt water you may want to buy this stuff by the gallon. Many guys spray it on all the metal stuff inside and outside the ski on a regular basis.
--Boat wax (paste types are harder to apply, but last longer). Other options are polymer type of protectants like Zaino, Rejex etc.
--Aerospace 303 Protectant: for the vinyl seats and outside plastic and rubber parts.
--Salt-Away or similar product if you are in salt water.
--You also really need a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, plugs, etc. properly.

That is all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Ernest,

I really appreciate giving me the time, the comment and the list... I've already started on purchasing the stuff above ... and was also thinking of buying an extra supercharge clutch on the side... any comments on that??? i heard some people saying that they've been facing problems with clutches...

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
hey Ernest,

I really appreciate giving me the time, the comment and the list... I've already started on purchasing the stuff above ... and was also thinking of buying an extra supercharge clutch on the side... any comments on that??? i heard some people saying that they've been facing problems with clutches...

Thanks again :)
Primarily the only guys having problems with the clutches are the ones that are modifying the engine for more RPMs. With a stock ski, the clutch should last a very long time. I wouldn't buy one until you need it...........I'm sure they are expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Earnest's list was very comprehensive. The only thing I can add to that is a good compression tester (I use a Snap-On)To periodically check the static cylinder pressures and compare them over time as an early warning system to premature wear and possibly catch a problem before its too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts