Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a marine jet 650 t. not sure wether to just scrap the whole project! got the machine for next to nothing with an unknown electrical problem but on closer inspection and taking everything apart i foind many more problems and i just dont know if its worth me continuing. here is a list of whats wrong now i have inspected everything.:dunno:

Elecrtrical problem dead when start button pushed. the solenoid maybe at fault and the starter spun but didnt engage the flywheel but sometimes didnt work at all. this happened when i shorted the solenoid. on splitting the starter motor down i found the semi curculal band of metal connecting the two positive brushes was cracked. resolve... found someone that has a second started motor for £40. another company said they have 4 brush repair kit for 30 but i would rather go with the first.:rolleyes:

on taking the engine out all of the engine mounts turn out to be nackered and need replacing. i tried to get some second hand and he wanted 10 pounds each. at a cost of £40 total for the four. alternatively there is a company on ebay that have some at £25 each of course total £100.....:rolleyes:

after removing the flywheel i took the bendix out which was a little rusty and stuck. all clean and lubed and now fine. on turning the crank i noticed a little bubble coming from the lower gasket at the block. my heart samk. really didnt want to go this far! anyways removed the inlet and the reeds had loads of gunk so i washed it all out around the reed valves dismantled and now back together and fine. the removed the lower block because i notice a puff of air coming from the gasket. have now removed the lower block leaving the head in place. the ends dont seem to have any play except sort of slide side to side but think thats ment to do that? my brother said there are honing marks still on the bore also. im really not sure whether to replace the rings if i go ahead and rebuild it? there was a cup of water in the crank case. could this have been what made the gasket go? or coincidence seeing as the srews on the engine cover let water in. maybe filled up a bit and seeped in? anyway tipped that out and washed it out with wd40.
cost of a gasket set is about 45 pounds for the complete kit. rings about 15 punds each set.:rolleyes:

now all in all starting to sound expensive and could have bought a running ski for that. or is it a good thing as all the parts i know will be fitted correctly and working or am i really wasting my time as i can get another engine for it second hand from between 50 and 150 pounds. :rolleyes:i live near london if anyone has one!

any opinions will be really well recieved as im going stir crazy wondering what to do. :dunno:

im hoping GCwaverunner can also give me some input. :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look its really up to you whether you want to spend money on it. The water in the bottom of the cases is a bit of an issue. Is there any rust on the crank and are the big ends OK? I would put it all back together if I were you with the new mounts, solenoid and those few little things I said to fix, get it going and just use it till it dies. If you have to go replacing rings, pistons or whatever, cut your losses. If you need any tech specs let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been offered a cheap superjet 650. all mountings are good. starter motor goosd and all other parts are good. electrics ect. im trying to get him to break it up. is it the same spares do yu think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts