Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 yamaha gp1300r, i got it about 3 weeks ago and took it straight to the lake after test driving it before buying. I rode it for a good 2 hours and it ran perfect never missed a lick! Me and my buddy were riding together we ran both of our ski's wide open for about 200 or 300 yards, Then all the sudden it just bogged out basically, it would start right back up and go about 80 yards and bog again then cut off. It kept doing this so i had to get towed back to the dock, someone told me it could possible be water in my gas tank. What are you thinkin about this situation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, our 2000 xl1200 ltd has had similar problems before. read my reply to ackerman in the forum NEED Help please. hopefully for your sake no oil is not your problem but it is worth checking!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i took the plugs out and they were slightly burnt and gas filed. Do you think it would be safe to pour rubbing alcohol in the gas just to make sure there is no water in there? Only reason i ask is im not sure if it would hurt a 2 stroke or not?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please post when you figure out what caused it. I have the exact same thing. A few weeks ago, we took a 700XL out for the first time and it ran great. Took it out today and it would stall and die.

Plugs were oily black.

·
Registered
227 Posts
First of all, GP1300r is fuel injected so it would be impossible to have a plugged carb. Sounds to me like something ignition. Don't pour anymore alcohol in your fuel. Get it drained, look for water. Another thing wrong with these is the catalytic convertor. Take it off and get a D-plate for it. If all else fails, find a good yamaha dealer. These problems can drive you nuts and people like me are used to seeing them so we can still sleep at night. HA! Oh, yes, alcohol hurts 2-strokes by washing away the oil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check compression. Maybe dropped an oil line. Also, check battery is charging at idle. 03 1300's have a reg/rectifier next to the battery box with the connector upside down which sometimes corrodes and also the injector plugs are upside down. Don't think it will be injector though because it would still run on 2. Yamaha fixed the plugs in 04! The cat converter sometimes breaks up and falls into the rear exhaust/water box causing an intermittent bog down usually on turns. A D-plate is the go. Could be a faulty slant detector in the electrical box or an ECU under the front bucket. They both have been known to be faulty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts