Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have seen my previous threads regarding my 96 Wave Venture Project I recently started the rebuild of the Triple carbs for the Venture.
The other day i removed the carbs from the ski and began the break down process, gave them a nice degreaser baths and scrubbed the crud off them finished up with a new coat of engine enamel paint.
During this process i was reviewing my Service manual and the parts from the new rebuild kit and noticed that something was missing, during the tear down of the carbs i took pictures of the pieces as i removed them for some before and after photos and to help give me a reference when i rebuilt them.
So looking at the manual the pictures and the kit i realized that the Diaphragm assembly body (as its know in the manual) was missing from all three carburetors. I am not sure why this part was missing from the carbs i dont know if it was intentionally done by the prior owner or lost at some point during a service though i do find it odd that all 3 carbs would have the same major apart missing. I say major because this piece is a large square block of aluminum so it would be hard to miss.
During my introduction to this project i mentioned that i received this jetski and another from the same owner and that a third jetski a 96 Wave Raider was left behind because it was missing parts and was not worth it to me to take, however i still scavenge parts from that ski, when i found i was missing the parts to these carbs i remembered that the third ski has 2 of the same mikuni carbs so i went to check it to see if i could scavenge the two parts but what i found was that out of the two carbs on that ski one was missing the same Diaphragm assembly block.
So question number 1 is there some reason that someone would remove these parts intentionally like a Modification or something? its just odd that 2 of the 3 skis all owned by the same owner would have 4 carbs missing this piece.

To my second question more related to the rebuild it self regard the High Speed and Low Speed Screws. my manual states the high speed screw is turned out 7/8 +- 1/4 and the Low Speed is 1 1/8 +- 1/4 . I dont understand what this means is it 7/8 of a complete turn of the screw and then additional 1/4 turn?
and also are all three carbs set the same exact amount of turns per each screw?

any help advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
1, The 1100 has a fuel pump on the end of the carb rack to supply fuel to each carb. Because of this your carbs do not need this internal fuel pump block.

2, ideally the high/low screws settings should be checked before there removed and put back to that setting as a starting point.
The setting of 7/8 turn out. "+/- 1/4" indicates that you can be a 1/4 turn less or 1/4 more than the original 7/8 turn out as a final adjustment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I did record there positions when took them off, though they pretty much all came very close to what the manual said one was significantly different then the others because of this I wasnt sure if they all weren't set properly with that being said if I set them to factory specs would that be ok and if not how would I properly tune them after the fact.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You should be ok at the factory settings. Only way you can verify is to do a chop test. You put in a set of new plugs. run it full throttle on the water for a minute or two without let up. then you shut it down with no idle time. Remove the plugs and read the color. They should be a deep rich brown. If there lite you are lean on that cyl and need to adjust out on high screw a bit for that cyl, and try again. If very dark or BLK your rich and go in on that cyl's high screw. I would say 1/4 turn for coarse adjustment. And 1/8 for fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts