Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Mods to F-12X worth it?

27K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  calivette2003 
#1 ·
I have a silver and black 04 F-12X, I have the Macsboost Honda Aquatrax Control Module chip (01-0001), K&N filter and run 25% 110 octane with premium 91 octane. At Fiesta Island, saltwater, with some small wave action I can get up to 68. With exception of a few new 250hp Kaw and Sea Doo's it is up their with the best. Solas impellers and grate help with hookup but to no degree increase top end...this info from both Solas, other PWC forums and my mechanic. Is there any reason to think otherwise?
Only problem I run into is cavitation as I come off wave caps which decreases speed. With a Solas scoop it may be able to should scoop MORE water before it runs out and cavitates. Others say the Solas grate slows top end and the best idea is cutting off the middle bar on the stock grate.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Did you change your intercooler when you purchased the Macsboost or are you still running the stock unit? I'm considering buying a Macsboost module but want to make sure I will see a difference? Kmowing what you know, would you buy another Macsboost module if you had to do it all over again? Thanks "NW"

#5 ·
I just got the mac's boot moduel. Noticed a quicker response from the turbo in my midrange but not alot on the top end. will admit i was only running 91 octane fuel and it was a hot humid day, This weekend i'll see what she does with some AvGas in it. I know alot of it was with the gas i was running, i could feel turbo backing off when i was wide open.

#6 ·
Ran ski this weeked with new macsboot moduel and with AvGas mixed with 93octain fuel, noticed a big difference in low to mid range power, much quicker response but only maybe 1 mph difference in top end. Running about 64mph, alot more cavatiation from the whole shot but ski is much quicker and more responsive. Looking for new prop next to increase top end speed. (05 F-12x)

#9 ·
Ran the ski this weeked with 100LL Av Gas, with about a 50/50 mix. Only thing I can say is Holy *&%!. It ran like a beast! Av Gas Mix made the ski a whole different animal with the Mac's boost modual. Sore today from just holding on, punches out of the whole crazy hard and will do it all the way up to 64mph.

#11 ·
Yes i could keep at top speed and sustain it for quite awhile, but when first unloaded and not quite warmed up it did seem to back off rev limiter, but once fully warmed up it never really seemed to back off it would stay and top speed for as long as i held the trigger. Av Gas is way to go with the turbo. I wouldn't run any less that 5 gallons per tank mix, and the more the better, with av gas at $4.20 a gallon it kinda sucks but if you want to play i guess you got to pay.

#13 · (Edited)
Here in Iowa you can buy AV Gas but must bring a proper container for it. Didn't realize that some states make it illegal, My guess would be because of Catalaytic converters in cars the low lead in the fuel will ruin them.

#17 ·
Sorry for taking 2 months to reply but yes the MacBoost shows definite difference in mid range but no appreciable gain on top end. Still worth the $300 IMHO.
The Solas #1141 seems to hook-up a lot better than the stock but again no difference then stock top speed. And yes I have the stock grate minus the middle vain.

#18 ·
Newbie doesn't get cavitation...

Only problem I run into is cavitation as I come off wave caps
I've seen this term "cavitation" used as I've starting browsing PWC forums. Is that when there's no water coming in so it revs up without providing any thrust? Is that what's going on when I tried to pull a wake board and it sounded like I was hitting the rev limiter over and over without much affect?

#19 ·
I have an '06 F-12x that i bought new and on pump gas the thing runs 63-64 as long as i can hold the throttle open. Had it out this weekend and ran 64 MPH on smooth water for about 10 miles straight on the Mississippi, never lifted off the throttle and never dipped below 63mph. I have run racing fuel (118 octane) in it mixed about 5 gals per tank and it pulls harder off the bottom and in the middle, but top end is no different. Did seem to lean more on the 64mph though, only saw 63mph a few times. As for where to buy legal fuel since some of you seem to have this problem. i race stock cars and that fuel is unleaded, you can buy it at any race shop in most any octane you want, 100,105,108,110, 113, 115, 118 (thats the highest i have seen). If you ride a lot, check out VP Racing fuels, you can buy it by the drum (55gal) at a discount.I usually run Turbo blue , sunoco, or Cam 2 racing gas. Most of the time its not worth the extra money, but when its hot and humid you notice the difference the most. Also, the computer in the engine automatically adjusts for octane in the fuel, i am guessing my advancing or retarding the timing, so the more octane you throw at it, the more power you are going to get out of it. With cool water temps you are never going to over heat, so i wouldn't be afraid of running 75% 118 octane and 25% pump gas. Gotta pay to play! Have no mods to mine yet, but when i do i will be buying the Macs boost kit with the chip, intercooler and impeller, and just run more octane after that. Its about a $1500 kit and all bolt on. I still have a warranty on mine til May '10, so i am waiting til after that as i am currently having issues with it blowing the 7.5 amp coil fuse. It has to have a short somewhere...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.