Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a similar situation.... or heard of one? I have a 97 Tigershark by Artic Cat. Yesterday we were riding when my friend tipped it on it's side (not all the way over).... he slid off and could not get back on so I rode over and swapped with him. When I hit the starter the jet ski hit but died.... it did it a second time.... the third time I hit the started she blew up hard with some parts going fifty foot in the air. It threw me about twelve foot up and off.... and demolished the top of the unit. When I came up there were still parts hitting the water. I jammed my back and skinned my chins as they passed the handle bar but that was it. I did not do anything wrong with this ski.... it had low hours and excellent maintenance. Does anyone know what the manufacturer's responsibility would be in a situation like this. I really do not think there will be any lasting injuries.... my back is sore but I think all will be alright..... but I would like the ski fixed.... thoughts please.

Thanks
Hogjawl

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some how gas/fumes got into the hull. "manufacturer's responsibility ", none, 10 yr old watercraft. What model tigershark? I ride a 99 1100R.
Three most probable causes of fuel in the hull, cracked filler neck, fuel lines/carbs, fuel sending unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tigershark

Did someone put a hit out on you, Sounds like a movie. Your lucky you didn't get hurt worse or killed!!! I agree it was fumes or gas line problems. post some pictures if you could...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have seen/heard of this before. It happens due to gas fumes in the engine compartment. The ski wouldn't start because the air was too rich with gas.

It's most likely the result of a cracked filler neck, when the ski tipped on its side it probably spilled some gas through a small crack in the tank. It doesn't take much, infact too much would prevent the explosion since the air/fuel ratio wouldn't be right for combustion...

Did the ski tip towards the side with the gas cap?

·
Registered
32 Posts
IN my opinion, you tried to start a hydrolocked ski which will send a rod through the case and the fumes and gas coming out the hole ignited from a spark from your electrics

in otherwords whenever in doubt about water getting in the motor never hit the start button

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is a good observation momar. When you can't turn the engine over (hydrolocked, something stuck in the pump, seized pump bearings, frozen starter or bendix etc.), the spark can occur at the battery termianl, solenoid terminal, or the starter terminal. This will ignite any fumes instantly and blow up as you experienced. There is a reason that there are rubber boots on all those connections. I know many forget to pull them over the terminals. I know I am guilty of doing that. Something to think about.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As I read it the engine was truning over but not starting...

Am I incorrect? Did it actually lock up?

·
Registered
32 Posts
when you have water in the engine the compression turns to 800 to a thousand pounds and will break a rod when you try to turn it over and shove it through the case

·
Registered
163 Posts
momarski said:
when you have water in the engine the compression turns to 800 to a thousand pounds and will break a rod when you try to turn it over and shove it through the case
Trust me, I understand that Momar.

What I was asking was where you got the idea that it was hyrdolocked.:dunno:

Not saying you're wrong, just that I read it differently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ha ha...SBT motor. He is getting revenge on people a whole new way. Could have it backfired through the carbs by any chance and had some fumes in the hull like previously mentioned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts