Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all,

I purchased a 89 js550 yesterday. I was told it just needed a new battery and it will run. So I purchased a new battery and fully charged it and nothing. I am very mechanical and took apart the top end and carb. Both are fine. It is trying to start. I have a spark, compression, new fully charged battery, and brand new fuel. Fuel is making it into the engine. Only thing I see suspicious is dry plugs. When i first go to start it turns over fast and gets slower and slower until it stops turning over and all that i hear is clicking at the starter. Kinda like the battery is dead. But then I come back an hour later and it turns over fast again but slowly stops. I have tried carb cleaner in the top end and carb. The battery is fully connected. Whats up? I suspect I need a new starter. It turns over until it just clicks. What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
try priming it right in the carb and if it runs then check your fuel filter and clean the carbs making sure you poke all the little holes out with a small wire (unbraiding a bike cable and using the strands works good) if that does not work, then there may be an issue with your crank seals. one other thing i do just to make sure that the battery is good because i have had "new" batteries that where accually 4 years old. try boosting it with your car just so you an be sure its getting all the power it needs, I have seen some batteries that have good votage when they are sitting but the voltage drops to like 6 or 7 once you put load on it. hope this helps ya, good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts