Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about picking this up from another local army guy but here is the problem he says it has. I dont know much about 2 stroke motors, so was hoping maybe someone here might have had the same problems in the past possibly or know someone who might have and might know the fix for it.

Heres his explanation:

"we were on the river with it and it just all of a sudden it wouldn't run full power, but after it cooled for a few minutes it ran fine for a few minutes then it would power back down again untill it cools off. i have no idea of 2 stroke motors. and really have no idea of where to start looking."

Basically it runs great until it warms up then runs like crap.. Any ideas?..
Thanks for any help.. Anything useful is appreciated...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...
So just from what you have heard, it does not sound too serious right?.
I just dont want to get something if the entire motor needs to be replaced. The problem it is having from what he explained seems simple enough to me. It doesnt seem too big.. The thing that worried me about it, was that he said it runs badly when it warms up.. but i guess that could still be a fuel thing.. Maybe not enough fuel or something..
Appreciate your help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
been there done that,

it sounds as if you have sand or rocks in the cooling sytem, it runs cold , heats up barely runs - it could be overheating. take the seat of start it up ,put your hand on what should look like a upsidedown u an top of the motor if its hot - its clogged. you should have aflush valve on top of the motor as well , if u can connect a garden hose to it (do not turn on water) start the ski then turn on water, check the u again ( u cannot turmn the ski off w/ the water running,) water off 1st then ski ff, never let the ski run out of the water for more than 15 secondsunless u have the water cooloing it.
that happened to me last year the first week i had the ski.check the entire impellar system -it sucks water from underneath flows theough the engine to cool it(like a radiator) then blows it out the side of the ski should be a little outlet on the ski -front half about water level - if u r in the river and there is no water coming out of that outlet your cooling system is clogged.
good luck:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much.. i should see the ski tomorrow or tuesday at the latest.. Ill let you know what comes of it.. i do appreciate everyones help also..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well water comes out of the outlet.. so I dont think its coolant system is clogged.
Im going to look through all fuel lines and possibly the carb too.. any other ideas?..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i cleaned the algae from my impeller shaft on the bottom.. I also went through all fuel lines and ended up pulling the carbs off and taking them apart and cleaned them.. When I did that, I noticed a few screws missing including one adjustment screw.. There were 3 screws total missing.. nice huh.. tomorrow Ill bolt it all back up and take it to the water again and see how it does...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just got back after my 20 minute outing... The thing runs perfect out of the water.. Idles well, better than before I cleaned it.. But as soon as you put it in the water.. bam, it idles ok, and bogs if you try to give it any throttle..
Ideas now?..

Possibly A/F mixture screws?..
Accelerator pump?..

Ive been going through old threads trying to get ideas...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, when I start the wave runner, and then hook up and turn on garden hose.. Shouldnt water be coming out of it somewhere?..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just went through the entire impeller and exhaust systems, and Im thinking that the carbs are the problems. So im going to take it to a shop and have them do what they do...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to check the A/F needles and adjustment screws, my question is...

Anybody know what the factory settings are for them?. I know you can screw them all the way in, then back them out at so many parts of a rotation.. But does anyone know exactly how much for each screw?.. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Bud, my Prob is very similar, she'll only do 12 mpgh in water all of the sudden.I pulled the rear seat and engine seat and took a close look on land, found a tear in the (outlet Pipe) item #48 on any fiche for yours under (Exhaust-1) just stick your hand down there and feel along the moulded rubber hose to see if the seam let go.Mine is letting exhaust and water into the Hull, and carbs can,t breath properly to run right.Just a thought, good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts