Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to Jet Skiing and need some advise on what Bouyancy aid or impact Vest to buy? i have looked on the web and found out that impact vest are probably a better choice, but i would like to hear some experinced opinions, before i go out and buy.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You might want to check with local regulations before you buy. Some states have very specific requirements on the types of vests they allow. For example some self-inflating vests are not allowed in my state.

That said I recommend a Neoprene type vest, since they are not as bulky, and usually give you more freedom of arm movement (look for large arm holes). I like the JetPilot brand as they are the most comfortable I've tried, but they can be a little pricy. I like the ones with zippers not just buckles. You will want to try it own in a sitting position, because some vests will hit your legs and ride up in a sitting position and be uncomfortable. I know some vest have an impact rating (I've seen them up to 200 mph), but I'm not sure that is a big deal (if you hit the water at 200 mph it probably will not matter whether you have a vest on or not, except it will make it easier for someone to locate the body).

I also wear a rash guard under the vest, and for me that makes it more comfortable. Avoid all black or dark colors if possible. It is just about impossible to see people in the water wearing totally dark colored vests (I've come close to running over skiers, etc. in dark vests).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts