Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I’m pretty set on buying this 1995 Yamaha Waverunner VXR 650 that’s for sale near me. The guy is asking 600 but he said he would take 500. He said it ran last spring which seems accurate as it has last years registration on it. It currently won’t start and makes a “tick” noise as he says which leads me to believe it’s a starter or relay which is a cheap fix on this ski. the trailer is also in good shape minus needing a couple lights which is cheap and it appears to be galvanized so rust free. The top trim in the ski needs some repainting as it appears.

This seems like a good buy to me so what are some items I would need to do to it once I get it/unforeseen costs.

I’ve heard I should rebuild the carb which is $43 for the kit including a needle and seat

An oil change maybe? Not sure how to do this on a ski but it shouldn’t be too much different than a vehicle right?

Any certain type of paint you guys recommend for the trim and maybe top of the body?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
This is a hard call. Without pics to judge condition.
If it was running in decent condition. $500/600 with trailer is not bad. Not running, the motor could be blown. Although registered last yr I'd still be a bit leery. If you remove the plugs and turn the coupling at the rear of the motor by hand (may have to remove coupling cover)and It doesn't grind and feels smooth you may be alright. If motor won't turn you may want to walk away unless he's willing to sell for trailer cost, about $200. even then you'll end up with more in it than it's worth. That said, parts are readily available for it. And they are a nice single adult play ski. I have 2 of the vxr pro with 701 motors. A 93 and 94.

You are correct it could be starter or starter relay. The factory relay $75, SBT $45. Starter SBT $140. Both are testable before replacing. It could also be motor or jet pump seized not letting starter turn.

Maintenance wise. You'll want to lube the center support brg with Marine grease. A couple good pumps is all. If it's still using the factory oil injection you'll want to replace the pump to carb oil lines. They have a tendency to fail. If the injection system has been converted to premix this is not needed. Minor other lubings such as steering shaft. Throttle and steering cables maybe long term.

Bottom line for a 25yr old non running ski. That's high. If you are mechanically inclined, it could be a project but beware pwc parts are costly. To rebuild the entire motor probably $600/800. depending on what parts are needed. Top end only around $300.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice! I actually looked at it in person yesterday and despite being dirty I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He said he took it to a place up here which is very reputable I’ve been there before and the guy had it running but when he got home it wouldn’t run so he called him back and the mechanic said it’s probably the starter or relay because he just had it running for hours in his shop. He also replaced plugs, greased things, adjusted throttle and choke and steering cable, new battery and all that good stuff. The mechanic said the compression in both cylinders was 120 psi which is a good number from what I researched. My thought is it is a starter relay because he got it running once not the whole starter being locked up.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If you know and trust the owner well enough then yes sounds like a good starter ski. 120 for compression isn't to bad. I think they run closer to 140 with new top end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you know and trust the owner well enough then yes sounds like a good starter ski. 120 for compression isn't to bad. I think they run closer to 140 with new top end.
Thanks for the info. I’m buying it tonight. Is there anything I should do to it once I get it? It apparently has new plugs and all fittings greased and all cables adjusted. Not sure what else there is to be done but I would love input!

One thing I did notice was the casing for the wires in the ski are very ratty and obviously original so I will be either electrical taping them or finding some sort of new casing.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I wouldn't use electrical tape. Find some more spiral wrap and redo it that way. You'll need to get into those wires from time to time and electrical tape makes a sticky mess.

From sounds of things you'll be good to go when you figure out the starting issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts