Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help from people with experience on TigerSharks. My son bought a 98 TS 770 R last summer. It was supposedly rebuilt, but the ski has run only about 50% of the time. I am not that handy, but I am trying to learn. I bought a service manual, but I find that pretty weak in providing answers to many questions. Also the pictures and illustrations suck, you can’t see much detail.

Right now I have two things I am trying to figure out. The other day I found a small hose that is only attached at one end and I would like to know where the other end is supposed to go. I am not 100% sure, because I can not see the end of the hose, but the attached part feels like it is connected to that little port that sticks out of the ski body right near where the external water connection is. The hose then goes all the way to the back end of the engine compartment. It is a small hose, maybe a quarter inch in diameter.

Second issue is that the other day I found what appears to be a second throttle cable. It moves when I squeeze the throttle, but it isn’t connected to the carb. There is already a throttle cable connected to the carb. Any idea what that is about?

I can attach pictures if needed.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was recently gifted a 96 Tigershark 770 and I think I know what your talking about. The small hose that isn't connected to anything is most likely a drain for when the motor is flooded. The second throttle cable I believe is for your oil pump. being a 2 cycle motor the engine need oil and fuel to run properly. WITHOUT OIL YOU CAN SEIZE UP YOUR MOTOR VERY QUICKLY! SUPPER IMPORTANT!! I'm not sure if the oil pump is in the same spot on the 98 but on the 96 its located on the bottom of the engine in the front towards the handle bars. I'm not really sure how you can test if the oil pump is working or not. It's definitely not going to work if the throttle not on. to be safe you could mix the oil with the gas yourself

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hawzie, thanks a lot for the info. The thought about the second throttle cable makes absolute sense. The guy my son bought the ski from told us that he disconnected the oil pump and to use mixed fuel. As for the small hose, and those two small ports (one each side of the ski roughly even with where the handlebars are), do you know what those are? As I said, the maintenance manual isn’t great. I understand your thought on the small hose being for draining. It just seems that it would drain pretty slow considering how small the hose is. Certainly possible, just strange to me, but as I said, I have no real experience.

If you have another minute, I also noticed that there is a black hose near the top of the very back of the engine, a lot like a car’s radiator hose. At the crest of that hose, roughly in the middle of the back of the engine compartment there is a nipple on it. On my ski there is nothing connected to that nipple. I have looked at the small hose that isn’t connected to anything at the back of the engine to see if it might go on the nipple, but the nipple seems larger than the hose. Any idea what is supposed to be connect on that nipple if anything?

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will try to help with your questions w/ pics to. 1st pic would explain small hose and small exits on each side in line handle bars.gas tank vent exit and entrance. 2nd pick would be oil injection running off of flywheel/stator housing on front of motor(i’m rebuilding that motor so i just showed for clarity) 3rd pic shows blockoff plate which should be in place of oil injection if using premix. Be careful oil injection cable doesn’t get caught or it could affect your throttle! Last issue not sure if your talking about exhaust hose which is radiator size or bilge hose. pic might help.
B5503B31-BCC6-484E-8D4D-37DB7DCF346F.png
A3B46CB8-A361-41D2-ACE2-13EACBC11A1D.jpeg
BFF5BE72-C8D0-44D3-97F2-58BA536E4DA7.jpeg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hawzie, thanks a lot for the info. The thought about the second throttle cable makes absolute sense. The guy my son bought the ski from told us that he disconnected the oil pump and to use mixed fuel. As for the small hose, and those two small ports (one each side of the ski roughly even with where the handlebars are), do you know what those are? As I said, the maintenance manual isn’t great. I understand your thought on the small hose being for draining. It just seems that it would drain pretty slow considering how small the hose is. Certainly possible, just strange to me, but as I said, I have no real experience.

If you have another minute, I also noticed that there is a black hose near the top of the very back of the engine, a lot like a car’s radiator hose. At the crest of that hose, roughly in the middle of the back of the engine compartment there is a nipple on it. On my ski there is nothing connected to that nipple. I have looked at the small hose that isn’t connected to anything at the back of the engine to see if it might go on the nipple, but the nipple seems larger than the hose. Any idea what is supposed to be connect on that nipple if anything?

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Hey Mark, sorry it took so long for me to reply. I believe the two ports on each side of the jet ski are water exit ports. One side is for the bilge pump to pump water out of the engine bay, the other is the exit for the water that runs through the engine. On the back of your jet ski you will see a hose that is connected to the jet. When the engine is running and the jet ski is in the water the jet forces water up through that hose. In line with that hose is your water filter, then the nipple you were talking about (ill get to that). The water then runs through the engine and exhaust manifold and acts as a coolant and exits out the side of the jet ski. as for the nipple you were talking about I had to look that up because my jet ski doesn't have it. it seems to me its something they added on the 97 model. Looking at it it looks like its connected to a one way check valve. The jet ski probably came with a fitting that connects to a garden hose that fits that nipple. It would be for running your engine while the jet ski is out of water.

I'm not sure why they did that with the water but on mine I have a fitting that allows me to connect a garden hose to the water exit port on the side of the jets ski so that I can run the engine out of water. The water runs backward through the engine than it would if the jet ski was in water. Maybe this was causing problems so they added a fitting inline so that the water moves in the same direction as when the jet ski is in water. But im not sure

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hawzie and Greasemonkey, thank you both for sharing your ideas and knowledge, I really appreciate you taking the time. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I wanted to get some pictures to include in my post.

So let me go one thing at a time. Greasemonkey, thanks for the word of caution about the throttle cable for the oil pump, I appreciate that, I didn’t think about that, so thanks. Also, thanks for the pictures. The one of the service manual helps to explain why I don’t like the manual so much. No pictures and fairly technical language, but that makes sense as it was written for the service techs, not for novices like me.

First, about the vents and the small hose not connected to anything. Hawzie, thanks for your ideas, but I don’t think that what you suggested matches with what I meant. Here is a picture of the vent on the side of the ski that I am talking about:

The hose that I think is connected on one end to one of these vents is pictured here:

It is the small dark/clear hose that is is the middle of the image going up to the top middle of the picture. Greasemonkey, is this a fuel tank vent hose?

Next, about the hose with a nipple on it and nothing attached. Here are two images. One so you can see where the hose is located and then a closer one to get perspective of the size of the nipple.

Finally, can you tell me what this thing is and what it does? It isn’t connected to anything, but it says that it must be installed when operating the ski.

Thanks for all of your time and help. I appreciate it as obviously I don’t know a whole lot about these things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts