Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently battling a leak but I think I have that fixed. Now for the fun part. When I first got my 98 Sea Doo GSX Limited 951 it ran 70 - 71mph at a little over 7100rpm. It had good acceleration and would pull 2 tubes over 50mph. Last year it began getting noticeably slower. It still seems to pull hard but will only run 63mph at about 6300rpms. If you free rev it out of the water it will easily reach 7400 rpms(I only ran it for about 5sec out of the water.) It has an R&D intake, bigger carbs, R&D filter housing, R&D headpipe, R&D reeds, some type of nozzle angle plate, and MSD ignition box. It also supposedly has an aftermarket impeller. The previous owner said it may also have slightly higher compression but wasn't sure. He had all the prementioned parts installed at one time at a shop and thinks they did the head too. I rebuilt the engine about 50 hrs ago. I did a comp test today and both cylinders reached 150 very quickly. How much comp should I have. Any ideas on my loss of speed? I was running down turbo hondas and now I'm eating their wake. I wouldn't mind running about 75.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Comp is around 135 stock. 150 isn't bad at all. My old 951 lost speed after a couple years also. Never did figure it out. Might have to get rid of that headpipe? Do you mean the stinger that r&d used to make? I think for 75 mph you might need to change the pto weight, get it bored and ported, maybe a different impeller again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts