Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, let me explain the situation. I just got 2003 gp1300r from a old man. The ski hasnt been used sence 2005. He told me it was running when he parked it, it just didnt have any power. So i brought it home and cleaned it up. Ive ran a compression test, which were 1-105psi 2-115psi and 3-120 psi, i am a little worried about the differce between 1 and 3 but i think there is a alawable 15% differnce, not sure though. I do have spark, so i dont think there should be issues there. so here is my questions. I have two polaris skis and pretty fimiliar with them, but the yamaha is a differnt beast. What should i do from this point. I tried to drain the fuel/water seperater, but no luck, im affraid im going to break it. Is there any fuel filters i should change or clean. What is some of the issues that would cause a power lost. Im thinking maybe the cat, and would it be wise of me to get the cat removal set up.i havent tried to start it yet, i dont want to rush this. so any help on were i should go from this point would be great, and im hopping yall can walk me through this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are in a way dealing with the same thing that I am dealing with. This past weekend I acquired a 00 gp1200r with 23.5 hours on it. I've done the same stuff you have,but can't get mine to crank. The fuel filter should be under the storage hatch,above the fuel tank,I'd change it. Power loss can be caused by the carburetors,they are easily clogged. Thats what's wrong with mine. take them off and give them a good cleaning. As far as the compression goes,it can be a carbon build up. Run a little bit of seafoam through it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i got mine running. First i tore the exhuast apart and found the cat had came loose and clogged the exhuast up. So i put a d-plate in. I ran another compression test and they were all at 115psi. I dont know, i think the back pressure was maybe causing a issue with my original issue. I hooked it up to the water hose and it fired right up. Now though i noticed the impeller had a chunk missing, so im going to order the riva set back impeller, the 13-20, the one in the stage one kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also if you cant get yours to crank that can be a real head ach. I have a polaris that sat for four years while i was in the military. It didnt want to crank. I found there can be a hole host of issues, from there not being enough battery volts,(and it will turn over, just the cdi wouldnt work right without the right voltage), to like you said carb issues. I also had another time when it would turn over, i had spark and it just wouldnt fire. I just rebuilt the carbs and it wouldnt even fire. Finally after spraying a shot of eather, and no fire, i decided my timing was out of wack. i pulled the front cover and found my flywheel was loose and the key had stripped. Im not to sure about yamaha, im learning, but good luck and try to start with the basics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts