Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Need Help Identifying OLDER WaveRunner & Advice Needed...

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  djrcool 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I am a new member and recently acquired an older Waverunner.

I have attached a picture of it and have more images if they are needed.

I would like some help figuring out what year this Waverunner is.

*I have done some research online and read that I could read a plate on the back of it and the last 2 numbers will tell me the year. I looked it over right before dark and do not remember seeing a plate, I plan on looking at it again this evening.

I am also debating if it is feasible to semi restore this and how hard it might be to find the parts that are needed. I was thinking about using eBay to hunt down various parts if possible. Any other sources that you would recommend?

The motor and most components seem to be in pretty good shape. It looks like the body could use a bit of TLC & restoration during the winter months. It also needs a new hood, air cleaner / carb cover, and a few other misc things.

I need to find a manual for it, possibly a free one online as well.

Anyway I am hoping that some of you could give me some advice and point me in the right direction. The idea is to get this thing running and keep it on our family lake.

I figure that I can start hunting for some parts and whatnot once I figure out what year this thing is, provided that you all do not think that it would be a waste of time or a big money pit.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you. I looked on that site and they do not appear to offer anything earlier than 89 + do not have much that I need.

I saw it was a 500cc, any idea what years various parts might be interchangeable on these things?

I dunno if I should consider getting another and using one for parts, or what lol. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but don't want to waste a lot of money on something if I could have spent my money more wiser and gotten a better machine..

#4 · (Edited)
The 500 cc engine was pretty popular. I think the 500cc engines SBT carries are the same beast. I would guess the carb is a standard Mikuni, so there are lots of places that would have those parts.

First step would be to check the compression. If it is less than 110-120 on either cylinder, you are probably better off using it as a door stop and spending your money on something that will run, unless you want it for a rebuild project.

That ski was never very stable, or much fun to ride, compared to more modern skis. If I were you, I wouldn't waste much time or money on it unless you are going for that "classic" ride. I've seen those orignial models in good running condition and great cosmetic shape sell for $400. A new engine would cost way more than that.

#6 ·
not sure if it runs yet, still have to check that ;)

it appears to need an air filter / cover for going over the carb. Some sort of plug for the back. The hood part is completely broken at the hinge area. The body could eventually use a bit of TLC as well.

Probably needs a few other random parts also.

The engine is dirty, but looks to be all together & looks like it would clean up well.

I might be able to rig up the hood and just get a few needed parts and get it running fairly decent. Our first step will be checking the engine.

Is it safe to assume most of the parts will be interchangeable on the late 80s models?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.