Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first PWC and didn't want to spend a bunch so I purchased a 1995 Wave venture 700 from the original owner. It had been in storage for two years, but always well maintained. It started right up and seemed to run okay until i took it out on the water. Since it had sat so long, I thought rebuilding the carbs would be a good thing to do. I purchased the kit and rebuilt them. Didn't know about pop off pressure and did not reuse the old springs, didn't run good. Long story short, i decided to take off and clean again and install factory springs. I had read various things for pop off pressures, and set them too low. I then read 55psi is the spec so i decided new springs would be a good start. After teh first rebuild, the problem I had was it would not start or idle unless back out the low speed screw about another .5 turns. Then it would idle, but only go up to 5 mph then bod down unless i choked it. Once I got up to 35 or so, it would run with out choke and go up to full speed. After trying to adjust low speed screw and not making any progress, I thought maybe there was still a blockage in one of the small orifices restricting fuel. Since I was going to take apart again to clean, I thought I would order springs.

today, I got it all back together and decided to start at factory settings, both low speed set @ 5/8 and the highspeed screw set at front- 5/8, back 1 1/8 At these settings, It would not start. I turned the low speed about another 1/4 to 3/8 turn out on both carbs and it would start. I took it to the lake and it was difficult to start, but with some starter fluid i did get it going. It pretty much ran the same, it would go a few miles per hour, then if I choked it a little it would accelerate through mid range to full speed but this time to run at full speed, it had to have a little choke. Are there other adjustments other than the low speed screw to get it to start and idle that I should be looking at prior to making low speed screw adjustments?

Looking for some guidance, don't make any assumptions, I am new to this and am not sure what direction to go. Thanks for any words of wisdom and guidance!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
JLLACO,
Welcome to the forum.
First I suggest reading in "general how to's" carb tuning. It's a little ways down the first page. This will give you an understanding of cause and effect of operation. If you can find a launch ramp thats barely used and leave the ski strapped to the trailer. Back in and adjust while motor is under load. This will give you most accurate set up.

Don't worry about jet size as you didn't change anything in motor to necessitate jetting chages. So long as pop off is close the rest is all screw adjustment. First set idle screw to 1200/1300 rpm. Then adjust low screws a little at time in or out to achieve highest idle speed. Then reset idle and adjust low speed screws again. Then move on to high speed screws. If you need choke to run your lean.
I leave you to the above info as I'm not the best with carbs. For me it's trial and error till I get it right. The tuning post at least gives you understanding of adjustments. Good luck.

Notes: I hope you used true Mikuni carb kits. After market kits can cause issues getting it adjusted correctly.
For future reference always check/record your H/L screw settings Pryor to disassembly. Count turns in till lightly seated. This is your start point after cleaning. Most times if this is done you don't have to adjust at all after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First confession, I don't think it was a Mikuni kit, it was only 40$. I did count the screw turns from full in but when i set them there, it would not even start.
I just took it to the lake and tried adjusting and testing. I opened the H screw about a 1/4 turn on each carb. I tried backing out the low speed screw twice, 1/4 turn each time. It still wants to bog down down but top end is good now once i get it going. Now, if i leave choke out just slightly, maybe 1/4, it will run through the whole range. Outside of a bad carb kit, could anything else be making it run lean?

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It could be the kit.
Or possibly something still stuck in a jet. Or passage.
How did you clean them? Did you take them completely apart and soak in cleaner? Or just disassemble and spray out with cleaner?
I prefer and have found it best to soak in the gallon cans of carb cleaner then hose them off with water flushing all holes. Then use spray cleaner to force everything out of the orifices. And blow out with air.

It's probably a bit of over kill but it works for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did completely dismantle but only sprayed out with cleaner and air, multiple times. Yamaha stock setting for low speed is 5/8 I would guess I am out about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns right now. I assume as i turn it out more, the richer it gets. I'd like to try backing out a little more to see if it gets better or not. Do i risk damage by doing this? Out side of the bog down when I hit the gas, mid to top end seems okay now. Since I still need slight choke on to take off, i am guessing still lean which could be some type of blockage, i agree. Perhaps next step is to but a mikuni kit and rebuild again.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yes, the further out you go the richer you get. You can go more so long as the screw will handle it Which it should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Still seems to be running lean. I thought I was onto something, I opened the gas cap while on the water and it seemed to accelerate better from a stand still. I removed the vent check valve just above the tank but it did not seem to make a difference. I am now wondering if I put the pump side of the carb together correctly. I found some videos that show pump cover, gasket, plastic diaphragm, o-ring, then next piece of carb, below that is flimsy rubber gasket and then finally the last o-ring which fits into the base of the carb. Thats for carb 1, but nothing shows what goes in on carb 2. I am thinking its the cover, then o-ring. Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts