Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help to remove a rock or pebble, the impeller is jammed, so it won't start because the impeller wont turn. I can see that it is trying to turn but there is a rock lodged in there somewhere. I've taken the grate off and looked at the drive shaft but the seems to be no were to put a wrench to try and reverse it so the rock will become loose, which was my only idea for how to try and fix it. I thought of puting a pipe wrench on it to turn it backwards but I don't want to do any damage to the shaft that may affect the preformance, since the pipe wrench will likely chew up the impeller shaft when it bits into the shaft. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. My machine is a 1997 Polaris SLT 780.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
How did a rock get jammed in there? Also, when it did, did it instantly stop your motor as well? If so, that is very bad news for you! Your motor could be seized and thus, that is why you cannot turn the impeller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in very shallow water last year when I rode it last when it sounded like it sucked up a some rocks then stopped. If I remember correctly I think it was just idleing or slightly higher than ideling RPM's. I don't recall if the motor sudenly stopped for sure or not, but think it did. I sure hope it is not seized, I just had it rebuilt 3 years ago and have less than 5 hours on it since then. Is it a good sign that the drive shaft can ge seen turning a little bit when I try and start it, and then when I let go of the starter it turns back that slight amount. If it were seized would even turn at all?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know? It sounds like you probably seized your motor but in all honesty I'm not sure because I can't see your ski. At the very least, your going to need to replace your impeller though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news, I got the rock out and the engine is not siezed! I had to take the entire impeller housing and assembly a part to get at it. The rock was way bigger than I expected, about 2"x1"x1/2", and was wedged between 2 of the 3 impeller blades and the impeller housing. There is a scrape/gouge in the housing wall and the impeller may be damaged too, but I will hopefully test it this weekend and see what other work may need to be done. Thanks again for your imput!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts