Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 2000 Yamaha GP800 for $2500 with trailer. Ski is in great shape and runs like a top in and out of water. Can someone give me some info on these skis? Is the price right? Also are the 800's dependable? What would be the top speed on one of these? Oh by the way it has 10 hours on rebuilt motor, and I have bought ski's from this guy before he works on them himself and really knows his stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The stock GP800 ran around 53-54 mph at around 7000-7200 rpm. They were a fun ride, not exceptionally fast, but very agile. I've seen complaints with porposing on the GP800, but I think that was a minor complaint for a few riders. Problems included powervalve failure on the pre-03 models. If yours has a re-built engine, I'd bet he took care of that problem. Other problems are typical of any 2 stroke including oil line failure, so I'd check the lines if it hasn't been converted to pre-mix.

Really impossible to comment on dependability of a re-built engine, since all depends on persons mechanical skills and what quality of parts were used.

It is really hard to put a price on one with a re-built engine............there are many variables. I've seen them sell from $1200- $4500, so I'd say you are right in the ball park. Not a bad idea to do a compression check, and a test ride before you buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah like I said this guy is very good, I purchased my 1995 Yamaha 1100 from him and it is perfect. It has already been converted to premix as he does all of the ones he gets(he doesn't trust oil pumps). What do you think the ratio of ounces of oil to gallons of gas on this machine? My 1100 is 2 1/2 ounces of oil per gallon of gas.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yeah like I said this guy is very good, I purchased my 1995 Yamaha 1100 from him and it is perfect. It has already been converted to premix as he does all of the ones he gets(he doesn't trust oil pumps). What do you think the ratio of ounces of oil to gallons of gas on this machine? My 1100 is 2 1/2 ounces of oil per gallon of gas.
On the stock 800 PV engines the recommended pre-mix ration was 32:1, which would be 4 oz./gal., but I'd go by what the guy that rebuilt the engine recommends.

50:1 (2.5oz/gal) that you are now using, is recommended on all the other Yamaha engines, except the 800 and 1200 PV models.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
The 2000 GP800 was still the first generation GP hull with the non-powervalve motor. For 2001 the new hull GPR with powervalve motor came out. It was one year behind the GP1200.

These machines are great wavejumpers but can get a little beat up in the chop. Overall very fun ski.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts