Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Waverunner used but in excellent condition last year. The first day out I was seeing how fast it could go when it sucked up a hat. Well took it out of the water, got the hat out. Looked like I got everything out but when I gave it gas it felt like it was missing. Took it back to the dealer and they said they took it apart and put it back together. They charged me $140 bucks and all was good.

Well it has run great until this week. I ran through a bunch of leaves on the water and it started doing it again. I took it out of the water and took both screens out. The back one had some kind of felt strip holding it in place. So looked it over real good and nothing in there. Put it back together and it still does it. I can run pretty fast but if I put it under load it starts again. It sort of sounds like a fwap fwap fwap. I'm not sure what cavitation sounds like so not sure if that is it or not.

Any ideas of what else I can do besides taking it back to the shop would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If it is a 2007 then it is not an SHO, since they didn't come out until 2008. Probably a FX HO.

Most likely you still have something in the pump..........it may be very small and difficult to see. It helps to pull off the intake grate and really look around with a flashlight. Pull the plugs so you can spin the impeller and look at all sides. Other possibility is a small dent or bend in the impeller from the stuff you ran through it.

The other most typical cause for the sound you describe would be a fouled spark plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ernest,

Thanks for the reply. I took the grates off but will do it again. If the plug is fouled will it run smoothly till you put it under load?

Bill R.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When one of the plugs goes bad in my FX HO it will idle OK, but run rough when you hit the throttle with loss of power. I threw in the "fouled spark plug" suggestion, just because it seems to be such a common problem with this model of ski. The plugs seem to foul easily, espeically if you do alot of idling.

I still think the most likely problem in your case is something in or wrong with the pump system. I sucked in some fishing line that caused lots of vibration on my ski. Just a small amount in the wrong place can make it run funny, and in my case the line was clear and nearly invisible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts