Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have new sbt engine 2 trip to lake breaking it in and after about 7 miles warning buzzer went off icon on dash was muffler with heat coming off it. The engine hasn't been over 5000 rpms. When it went off I pulled seat found nothing wrong I let it cool and this happened 3 times before I got it on trailer. Does anyone have any advice???? Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What model ski? Sounds like you’re tripping the temp sensor on the exhaust. Do you have a catalytic converter? Any error codes showing up on the display?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gp1200r

gp1200r 2002 model all stock except for the new sbt engine. The only error was a buzzer and muffer over heat display.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If it is stock, I'd guess that the catalytic converter may have broken during the removal/installation of the new engine from moving things around. They commonly break loose anyhow with just normal riding, that is why so many guys recommend removing them and putting in the "D" plate. I'd pull the exhaust apart and look at the cat/con, and I think the temp sensor is very near that area, so I'd also pull it out and look at it to see if it is bent, etc..

If the cat/con and sensor look OK, you could have a water flow problem through the exhaust. Make sure all the hoses are reconnected to the right places with no leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts