Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been awhile since I have owned a ski. In '94-'95 time frame, I hade a Waive Raider. I am looking to purchase a newer model Yamaha ski and I am interested in the FX SHO.

Are there any reliability issues with the supercharged models? I want speed but reliability. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The SHO has been out since 2008. The main problems related to the supercharger have been clutch failures on skis that have been modified for more speed. I have seen very few reported problems for stock skis.

You may also want to look at the VXR/VXS models, which are new for this year. This ski uses the same 1800cc engine in the SHO, but it does not have the supercharger, so fuel economy, maintenance requirements, and reliability are even better. Price is also significantly lower. Because the VXR/VXS models are lighter, their top speed is actually faster than the SHO, with significantly better fuel economy, in fact, this is Yamaha's fastest stock ski at this time (over 68 mph)...........faster even than the FZR/FZS models which also have the supercharged 1800 engine.

There will be a ride difference between the VXR/VXS and the SHO, with the SHO being a bigger heavier ski with a deeper "V" hull design it will be more stable in chop. The VXR/VXS will be a more sporty ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts