Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone on here can help resolve my issue. I have a 2001 Polaris Virage (2 cycle 90hp) that is a US Coast Guard patrol vessel. I used it last week on patrol and had no problems. I went to use it just yesterday and it struggled to start. As usual I pulled the choke out and proceeded to attempt to start it. With the choke all the way out the engine started and then...proceeded to rev up to MAX rpm and would not shut off unless I pulled the kill switch. I decided to try and put it in the water to see if it would run but it would only run for a couple of seconds and then die.

We pulled it out of the water and again started it with the choke pulled all the way out, and again if reved up to max rpm and would not shut off unless the kill switch was pulled. I talked to two mechanics who both have never heard of something like this happening, nor are they sure how it could happen with the choke pulled out?

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like a fuel flow problem. Could be fuel pump. Could be dirty filter or gummed up carb. Could be air leak in carb???

Anyhow, the fuel system is where I'd start. Clean/rebuild the carb. Make sure you have good fuel flow and try again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
over reving

I had my seadoo run at max rpm after installing a new engine. The only way I could kill the engine was to stuff rags in the air intake. I had read that when running the engine on the hose to only turn the water on at the same rate as you would drink from a hose. I concluded that this method caused the engine to run too hot and it kept running more and more rpm as it got hotter. The high temp alarm also went off. I open the water faucet about 60% open ever since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts