Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are going to look at a 2003 Vx140 tomorrow to consider to purchase. Is there anything in particular other than the obvious that I should be looking for on this ski??

I know to look for the following:

Compression on cyl
look engine over for any corosion
look at oil for anything milky
Look ski over for any cracks and such

What I am missing?? All advice is welcome!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Must be an FX140. The VX is a 110 and didn't come out until 2005.

Most important thing to do when buying a new ski = TAKE IT FOR A TEST RIDE. If it runs good in the water, hits close to 10,000 RPMs at around 55 mph, you can skip the compression test, skip trying to measure the impeller clearance, not worry about the spark plugs, air filter, and many other things you would have to check otherwise. After the test ride you just look it over for signs of abuse or corrosion and make your offer......done deal.

There is no way to test the pump system except by riding the ski. It may run like a champ on the hose, but with a bad pump it will be a dog in the water.

Would you buy a used car without taking it for a test drive?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops

Yes Earnest, it is an FX140. We are heading over to see it this morning and will definitely take it for a test run.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a LONG ride to see a ski!!!

The outer appearance was nice. However, there was a lot of corrosion on the engine and such. This is not a problem that my wife and I want to deal with.

So the search continues!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wise decision. Corrosion on the outside = not a good sign. This is a good time of the year to be shopping for a ski. The deals will be out there in the next couple of months, so be patient and keep looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts