Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all, i am new to the PWC world and wanted to post a few questions before i do a search, because honestly i dont even really know what to search for.

anyways, its a 94 kawasaki 750 ssxi
it was cheap, therefore i bought.
previous owner said he hadnt even started it in about 2 or 3 years.
he said it ran great when he parked it in his garage (but who knows)

engine actually looks very clean. just seems to have a slight oil leak coming from the oil hose into the front of the engine. a new tight clamp SHOULD fix that.

i took a screwdriver and stuck it in the hole in the driveshaft coming from the engine.....it turns....but its somewhat hard to turn. and seems a little rough...is this normal?

would it be ok to run seafoam through the engine?

is there a place online for owners manuals? i need to know how much oil to keep in it and other maintenance.

any other tips info feel free to let me know. thats all i have for now.

TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
btt, anybody? beuller?

oh yea, and the oil in the oil resevoir has a blue tint to it. and seems like it may have a good amount of water in it.

is the blue tint normal?

and also, is there a good way to go about draining the old oil and gas in order to put fresh fluids in it?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
If the oil has a blue tint to it, chances are that is Kawasaki oil in it. They have a red cap and a blue cap and each oil is the color of the cap. As far as draining the oil and gas, yes I would recommend that. Use a hose and siphon it out. You can buy a kit to do that fairly inexpensively at any auto parts store if you do not have one already. I don't think you need to run sea foam through your motor. As far as your drive shaft goes, let me check mine tomorrow and get back with you on how it feels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ the oil cap is grey. but i will syphon the oil and gas. i know the tool you are talking about i have bought them in the past.

and thanks on checking the driveshaft. thanks for the info! much appreciated

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I know the oil cap on your ski is gray; I have the same ski. But the Kawasaki oil used to come in a blue cap or a red cap. The red cap was the better oil although both are good oils but the red cap oil was red and the blue cap oil was blue.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Hey, I also just tried the drive shaft, yes it is a little hard to turn and then it goes easy for a second when the motor reaches top dead center. It's difficult because you are manually turning over the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
^ ahh gotcha about the oil. also, should i buy kawasaki brand 2 stroke oil?
or what oil do you use?

and thanks for the info on your engine. sounds like mine does the same thing. so sounds normal. thanks!

and i have seen a few things on here about blocking off the oil pump. i cant find info on how to do it however. are there any articles on how to do that for premix?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The Kawasaki 2 stroke oil is what I have run in both of my jet ski's from day one. They changed the 1 gallon bottle it comes in but it is the same oil. With either one, you can't go wrong but I prefer to run the more expensive one. It is only 3-5 dollars more but it seems to run good in the ski's. I might also switch to fully synthetic Ams oil but it is way more expensive.

As far as blocking off the oil pump goes, you can do that and pre mix your oil but to be honest with you, My stand up is a 96' and was bought brand new on May 1st 1997. With it, I have well over 100 hours on it and not once has it ever given me any problems with mixing the oil. I think initially, a lot of people did it because all of the ski's pretty much before mine were all pre mix and they did not trust the reliability but the reliability has been just fine on mine for the last 12 years. I know some people want to run a little more richer oil mixture than what the oil pump does and if that is the case with you, then just add that extra amount of oil to your fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so today i took OUT the old oil and gas. put new gas/oil in it.
i also put in a brand new battery.
tried to start it, NOTHING.
i checked a few things out....the fuse in the starter was blown. i replaced that and now i get ONE single CLICK everytime i hit the start button. but that is all.

anybody have any idea? could the starter motor just be frozen? any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 or 3 years ago from what i was told.

i read some stuff where this has happened....could either be a stuck starter motor....starter....connections.....OR, engine locked up.

ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i have read some more, and messed with it more. tell me what you think...

i pulled the cover off the top of the engine to check out the pistons. they looks to be in ok shape. now i turned the driveshaft and both pistons move fully up and down. with difficulty. but they move. so i dont think the engine is locked up.
now i have read alot about these skis having problems with the jet pumps seizing because of salt water. i think this is why it is so hard to turn the motor. could this be true?

if so, where can i find a place to teach me how to take it out to inspect it? TIA!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to reconnect the poles on youre battery, when you hear one loud click and after the click you here a very low sound. (grrrrrr :D )

Then you have the issue i was dealing with a few weeks ago, changed the battery and suddenly I had the same problem.

I attached the pole tighter and voila!

I hope it works for you..

Grtz B
(the netherlands)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts