Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 yamaha waverunner with 79 hours. It was running fine then the next morning would not crank. Dealer says that the piston is hitting the spark plug and that I need a new engine for 3700 dollars. He put a new spark plug in and says that it is running and I can keep changing the plug until I have a major failure. I think this might be bull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know very little about yamaha engines, but that does like BS to me. In general if your piston is hitting the spark plug with any other engine it's because you have the wrong spark plug in there (too long). good luck. Also, that price he quoted you seems low for a engine replacement. I think the engine for my FX140 is around $5K, and with labor...probably $6k.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Souns like BS to me too. Check the owners manual for the correct plug. Go to yamahas site if you dont have it, they are all posted there. Post back with the results and we can go from there. Dont go back to the dealer!

·
Registered
209 Posts
dont take it to the dealer, unless you like grabbing your ankles.. these small ski motors are simple to fix

my spark plug gap closed once, it was because bits of the piston were hitting it.....

a rod bearing could have gone out, allowing the piston to travel higher...

·
Registered
61 Posts
remy, you got 2 posts mixed together. He never said it was a 2000 fx140!! LOL
You have a point on the rod bearing, but it would rattle alot with the 1/4" jump you'd get if it broke. You would also consider the carbs losing prime, but alas he has not told us much about the ski.lrodgers, post some more info and maybe me and remy can help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts