Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished rebuilding my XL800 with new crank, rods, pistons, sleeved jugs (SBT), etc. Everything went smooth and the engine runs awesome. As soon as i get it in the water, it bogs and runs like crap, on one cylinder. Pulled the plugs and found that the front cylinder is taking in water (washed clean, and water on the plug). Runs great on the trailer. Weather turned to crap so I cant look at it today (and its my day off), but i plan on putting a hose on it and inspecting.

Anything in particular to look at here? Am i correct in saying that the only possibilities are from the exhaust, the head, or the jug?

Also, is there any quick way other than pullin a jug off to get the water out of the crank case if there is any down there? Im assuming there is.

I have read not to run the hose without the engine running, or the engine will fill with water. How is this possible? Is the cooling system not sealed from the engine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your possibilities are correct. Is this a crate motor from SBT? They have no-fault warranties on those things. If you rebuilt the motor with new parts thats another story. To remove the water, simpily pull both spark plugs, spray fogging oil down into the cylinders and crank engine for 5-7 secs. Repeat until water isn't coming out the plug hole anymore.

If the engine is not running and you have a hose running in, the water will backfill the engine from the exhaust. Exhaust flow is what keeps pushing the water out the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I built the engine with SBT parts. And the results of water in the cylinder is from the ski being ran in the water.

After pulling the ski out of the water, it runs mint again. Can I assume the water is gone from the crankcase?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When there is no load on the engine (out of water), they will seem to run good. It may have cleared out the case, but you should still pull spark plug and crank over to be sure. Run on the flush kit for a few minutes and check again. If you are getting water in a cylinder, it will destroy your new engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts