Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased two pre-owned Yamaha FX Cruisers. One is a 2005 with 140 hours and the other is a 2006 with 13 hours. I took both out over this past weekend and now have two separate problems I'm hoping someone else can help with.

Both ran great on Saturday with the exception of an overheating issue when we ran through an area of weeds which jammed up the intakes. We shut both down as soon as the warning lights came on and cleaned them out, everything was fine after that and we rode for another hour or so.

On Sunday, I went to ride again and the 2006 didn't want to start. Finally started but ran really rough and wouldn't get up to speed so I shut it down and rode the 2005. Pulled the plugs on the 2006 and they were black and all 4 were oily. The air filter was pristine and there was no sign of any oil in the air intake. I replaced all the plugs and it fired up and seems to run ok but I haven't had it in the water. Any idea why the plugs would be oily in a unit with only 15 hours on it?

Yesterday went to start the 2005 and got only clicking and then nothing. Assume it might be the battery so I took it out this morning and put it on the charger. Noticed the fluid level is a bit low in the battery but am not sure if these batteries are distilled water or not.

Thanks for any help anyone might offer. Dealership wasn't much help and didn't have any suggestions at all other than to suggest I bring it in after changing plugs.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Contacted the first owner of the 2006 and the plugs were original, the gas had been in the unit from the previous season and the unit hadn't been ridden this season. I'm guessing the oily residue was from the winterization when the dealership fogged it. Anybody know if the fogging would leave an oily residue on the plugs?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If a partially filled fuel tank sat over the winter with no additives, then you will definitely have some water contamination in the fuel from condensation. That would definitely affect performance. For future reference, it is best to fill the fuel tank with gas and add Sta-bil for storage in the winter. A full tank reduces the space condensation can occur in.

Fogging will definitely put oil on the plugs. When you crank the engine for the first run in the spring after the winter fogging is the most common time to foul a plug. If you are going to change the plugs run it that first time in the spring then make the change. Fouled plugs are THE most common cause for performance problems on this model. Pull, clean/change the plugs as a first step whenever there is a performance decrease on this model.

The original Yamaha battery has ports on the top for adding distilled water, and it is important to keep the levels full. Unfortunately, this battery does not last long after it has been totally discharged. You will probably need a new battery. Pull the batteries from the machines in the winter and put them on a trickle charger if you will not ride the ski for more than a month or two.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi can anyone help i have a 2005 yamaha fx 140 cruiser and have come to start it and the battery is good and fuses not blown but it is totally dead any ideas

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi can anyone help i have a 2005 yamaha fx 140 cruiser and have come to start it and the battery is good and fuses not blown but it is totally dead any ideas
First step is to remove the cables from the battery, clean, and retighten. Second step is to try a different battery. You can pull one out of your car. Be sure the laynard is pulling the kill switch up. Plug and unplug the laynard a couple of times.

How long since it was last started?

Next after you have tried the above: Is the instrument panel lighting up? Any error codes showing on the display? Is the engine turning over?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts