Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post so be patient!
Just bought a mint Tiger Shark 1000.
I ordered a manual off eBay but slow shipping. I really want to ride this thing this weekend. Seller knew zero, and I don’t know much more. Is there a check list for this model I can do before I hit water.
Being a motorcycle guy, I want to put oil in everything! There is a black plug on what you would think would have crankcase oil? I unscrewed it and it’s dry. I understand crank is lubricated through oil feed mix with the gas. I read somewhere else it’s a sight hole to check timing ?
it’s directly in front of engine facing front of ski, anyone know for sure what it is ?
seller cranked it and revved it up out of water and I cut it off. I know my boat engine needs water. It may not be as critical on a ski but I didn’t like it dry run.
is this ok ?
If a experienced person would mind giving a first time owner some tips, I would be grateful. I’ve read a 100 posts but can’t seem to find answers without asking.

sorry for long winded post but guidance would be appreciated. Don’t want to screw it up
thanks !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
first tip: this is not a motorcycle, do not use any general info you know about motorcycles or you are going to run into big problems
second tip: there are not too many people left in the business that know anything about tigersharks, and parts are very difficult so do not touch anything!
third tip: you cannot adjust the engine timing, again, this is not a motorcycle

what you should be concerned about is having a high quality battery that is installed properly
use good quality two stroke injector oil
wait for the service manual, guesswork by brand new ski owners often leads to problems

last tip:

find a buddy that has some experience riding and maintaining jetskis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, wasn’t planning on touching timing, just wanted conformation what I was looking at was for checking timing.
I’ve ridden jet skis over the years, just always had a boat. I just bought 2 skis , and the tigershark is one and an early model sea doo GTX. Both are old 2 strokes (as you know) and I’m not in deep enough to get hurt financially. Agree on the manual, it’s a must. I got one coming and also found a tigershark Facebook group as well. The TS is so pristine, I hate that due to circumstances, it’s basically disposable. The few things I was unclear on have been answered. Maybe once I get the manual in, I may can forward some info to someone in need.
Thanks for the advice and taking the time to help, I appreciate it very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts