Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum. Here is my situation. I purchased a 2018 Kawasaki SXR 1500 way back in December of 2018. My full intentions were to put the Ski into action the following Summer, however my work schedule then a motorcycle injury prevented me from doing so.

So, the jet ski has been sitting covered in my garage for nearly a year and a half. It was not winterized nor has it been started in my possession. It was for sale at one point, but I feel like a stand up is a niche and it has affect my attempt to sell it negatively. Basically, I am going to ride the darn thing this Summer (and I kinda looking forward to it !!)

Anyhow, to my main questions for you experienced PWC people. What would you do at this point to get the motor ready?

At this point I have put in fogging oil and am letting it sit. I will also pull out the old fuel and add fresh gas with Sea foam (which should stabilize the fuel until I get her out on the lake in a few month and also hopefully clean anything left behind by the old fuel.)

Other than than, I am not exactly sure if I should hook up a water hose to purge/lubricate that system or just run the motor dry for 15 second intervals (per the owner's manual). Of course, running a new motor leads to break-in questions. I was going to take the owner's manual recommendation of a slow, steady break in.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Welcome the forum,
Sorry it took so long to reply, been pondering the situation.

Short of what you've already posted on fuel. I'd charge the battery and start it on the hose and run it for a few minutes. You want to make sure it will run ok before hauling it to the lake and won't start or run right.

I'd follow what the manual says for break in. You may need or want to add some extra oil to fuel for first tank for added break in protection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dave,
Thank you for the reply. I was smart enough to have the battery on a Tender the entire time, so hopefully it's still in working order. Although I have had premature battery failures on my motorcycle even after religious use of a Tender, so I will be definitely paying attention to how easy or hard it cranks the motor.

The new SXR is a 4-stroke, so I will probably not be adding any oil to the fuel. Other than that, I will run the motor on the hose this weekend when I fire her up for the first time. Hopefully any crud that has left behind by the old fuel gets out of the motor and replaced with the fresh gas with Seafoam until I can get her out for the maiden voyage. Depending on how much of a mess the fogging oil makes when it comes back out of the cylinders, I may or may not fog the cylinders again (leaning towards not fogging again and just starting the Ski every couple weeks or so.)

Still would love to hear others' opinions if they are out there.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS, as far as I know the Manual states 1/4 throttle for the first x minutes and progressively more throttle after certain time intervals. I plan to stick with this as I haven't ridden a stand up in years, although the size of this beast probably lends itself to an easier ride than the smaller stand ups.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds like your good to go then.
Sorry I didn't know anyone was making a 4stroke stand up, interesting. I'll have to look into this.

I would still use the fogging oil. Especially some through the carb as you shut it down. This coats the valve seats stopping any off season rust from forming on them. A little in each cyl does the same for cyl walls.

Sounds like time for your maiden voyage asap. Can't wait for temps to warm here and season to start

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take out the spark plugs to alleviate the compression, disconnect the battery, and try rotating the motor by hand, if you can reach the coupling or some other part of the motor, and make sure the pistons move in the cylinders and are not seized. And it coats oil on the cylinder wall and rings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum. Here is my situation. I purchased a 2018 Kawasaki SXR 1500 way back in December of 2018. My full intentions were to put the Ski into action the following Summer, however my work schedule then a motorcycle injury prevented me from doing so.

So, the jet ski has been sitting covered in my garage for nearly a year and a half. It was not winterized nor has it been started in my possession. It was for sale at one point, but I feel like a stand up is a niche and it has affect my attempt to sell it negatively. Basically, I am going to ride the darn thing this Summer (and I kinda looking forward to it !!)

Anyhow, to my main questions for you experienced PWC people. What would you do at this point to get the motor ready?

At this point I have put in fogging oil and am letting it sit. I will also pull out the old fuel and add fresh gas with Sea foam (which should stabilize the fuel until I get her out on the lake in a few month and also hopefully clean anything left behind by the old fuel.)

Other than than, I am not exactly sure if I should hook up a water hose to purge/lubricate that system or just run the motor dry for 15 second intervals (per the owner's manual). Of course, running a new motor leads to break-in questions. I was going to take the owner's manual recommendation of a slow, steady break in.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
I would certainly pull the plugs and inspect them as well as the cylinders for any untoward issues. I would inspect up the jet as far as possible for critters/spiders. I would run on the hose and make sure the pisser was ok. Grease the main bearing. Check cables for internal oxidation (e.g., do they move smoothly without drag?). I like the Sea Foam idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts