Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I bought a 07 VXdeluxe and didnt have it thoroughly checked out. The motor is bad and i dont know what to do. Should I tear it down and try and find a engine or just part it out and try to recover my losses.....any advice is appreciated and yes i should have known better....:dunno:

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Honestly only you can answer that. You know how much you have in it compare that to the book value and what it would cost to repair and go from there. Look on pwcengine.com to see what a rebuilt engine goes for. You can also call a few mechanics and ask what a rebuild would be.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sorry to hear it. The VX motor is probably the most reliable of all ski engines, but when it does break it is a bitch to fix. They are nothing like a 2 stroke. You will need a lift just to get the engine out plus a number of specialized tools to work on it. You can do an engine swap if the core is intact with SBT: Yamaha VX110 Premium Engine -- SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories Might be worth considering, but it will cost you $$. You will have another couple of thousand in the ski by the time you get it fixed.

Parting it out is an option, but I doubt you will get back what you have in it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does a lawsuit against the seller make sense? :dunno: just a thought. If it's somebody that appears to have some money or a dealer you might get somewhere with a threatened lawsuit:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I got mad, went outside and I got the motor almost ready to come out, only thing stopping me is a couple of wires and I cant figure how to disconnect the jet drive. Gonna pull the motor apart and see if I can rebuild it myself. I wrench on cars as a hobby and for extra$$. this little 4 stroke cant be that much different.....any advice or how to tricks?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is an installation/removal guide for an FX: http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/yfx.pdf They don't have one for the VX, but many steps should be similar.

I have a service manual for an 05 VX that I can send you if you want it. It should be very similar to the 07. PM me your email and I'll post it for you.

Good luck!! Keep us updated on the progress.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Does a lawsuit against the seller make sense? :dunno: just a thought. If it's somebody that appears to have some money or a dealer you might get somewhere with a threatened lawsuit:mad:
Doubt it. Unless there was some kind of written warranty implied when purchased it's always "buyer beware" when buying anything used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts