Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum!

I'm an avid forum user of other forums and look forward to PWCForum. As a prior car enthusiast I spent way too much time posting and commenting but helps build a great community; I'm looking forward to a similar experience here.

So I purchased a used 2004 FX SHO about 6 weeks ago. The previous owner put what I now see is a rivaracing Stage 1 Kit; the sound is awesome and it absolutely flies. For my kids I bought a used 2007 VX Deluxe. I'm into both ski's and double trailer for less than $7K so I'm pleased with my cragislist finds so far; just got a few questions.

First - the 04 FX will show security and turn off after I've been in the ocean jumping waves for 15-20 minutes. I can ride for 2-3 hours in the ocean or river but once I start jumping 3-5 ft waves it will happen. I just pull the key, wait 10-15 seconds and it starts right up and I can jump again until it shuts off. If I stop jumping and head back in or play with the dolphins it runs flawlessly. So any ideas on the 'security' and power down? My wife says the ski is telling me I am too old to behave like this but I think its something else. Ideas?

Second - the '07 VX is really clean; kids love it but know it isn't as fast as the FX. If my wife and daughter on on the VX all day the hull is bone dry, no water. If my son is on it and jumps and or does figure 8's and buries the nose now and then the hull may be half-full of water by the end of the day. I've discovered that there is NO seal between the lid and body. There is the foam/rubber gasket and it is in tact but when I close the lid I can see daylight from one side to the other. Clearly when my son is having fun and water is coming over the nose it is forcing gallons into the hull through the lid/storage. Any ideas on how to seal that up?

I'm taking both ski's to my local mechanic to put them in the tank and just give them a 'once over' but I'd like some ideas here too.

Thanks in advance for reading and any ideas you can share.

Klangford

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Neither of those skis is really designed for jumping waves as their primary duty. Don't get me wrong, I do it all the time on my FX, but not for hours at a time. They are both more crusier types. Don't be surprised when you break a motor mount on the FX.........common problem on this ski if you ride it rough.

My guess on the cutting off of the FX would be the tilt detection switch. It is designed to stop the engine if the ski goes over a certain angle (I'm thinking it is 60 degrees, but may be wrong) to prevent the engine from injesting water. You may need to have the switch looked at and adjusted as it may off on one side or the other and hitting the switch when you bang down off a big wave.

I don't think the VX has a bilge pump and that is probably why you are noticing more water with it. The FX should have one. You could pretty easily install an automatic bilge pump for fairly cheap on the VX. The VX is the entry model and not sealed that well, but none of them are going to keep water out if you bury the nose in the water. I don't know of a good way to seal it, but a bilge pump should keep it reasonably dry.

Also you probably have an FX HO like mine and not the supercharged SHO, since Yamaha didn't produce the SHO until 2008.........still a great ski.

Looks like you got a good deal on the skis. Have FUN!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts