Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everyone!!

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Yammy fxho. What a beast of a Jet Ski!!! We bought this ski after the 2004 XLT1200 fried due to lack of oil. This seems to be common on these machines......

In any case, the FX has a newly rebuilt engine by the dealer due to a cracked crankcase. The previous owner said that that the crack appeared on a water jacket area. The ski ran fine, just squirting water out of the side of the crankcase. Anyhow, he didnt think that it would be covered by warranty, so he bought the new supercharged yamaha. 2 weeks after buying it, Yamaha said that they would be covering it under warranty. We got it with 2 hours on the new rebuild.

After riding it tonight, I notice a HUGE difference going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. It seems the 2 stroke that we had, has twice the holeshot takeoff than this ski does. Is that normal?

We have a 2nd 2 stroke, Polaris 1200, and we will be taking them both out tomorrow. For some reason, I think that the 2 stroke might outrun this FX. However, comfort cannot be matched to the FX. It is FAR more superior!!

So I come to you experts for opinions on this. Are the FX's just slow out the hole? Is this ski made mostly for cruising? My wife will be doing nothing but jumping boat wakes, cruising the river while zig zagging or doing a few doughnut here and there. I want to ensure that nothing else is wrong with the ski.

Thanks to all that might have an opinion on this and ANY suggestions I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
811 Posts
Four stroke is the best

Hello there everyone!!

My wife and I just purchased a 2006 Yammy fxho. What a beast of a Jet Ski!!! We bought this ski after the 2004 XLT1200 fried due to lack of oil. This seems to be common on these machines......

In any case, the FX has a newly rebuilt engine by the dealer due to a cracked crankcase. The previous owner said that that the crack appeared on a water jacket area. The ski ran fine, just squirting water out of the side of the crankcase. Anyhow, he didnt think that it would be covered by warranty, so he bought the new supercharged yamaha. 2 weeks after buying it, Yamaha said that they would be covering it under warranty. We got it with 2 hours on the new rebuild.

After riding it tonight, I notice a HUGE difference going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. It seems the 2 stroke that we had, has twice the holeshot takeoff than this ski does. Is that normal?

We have a 2nd 2 stroke, Polaris 1200, and we will be taking them both out tomorrow. For some reason, I think that the 2 stroke might outrun this FX. However, comfort cannot be matched to the FX. It is FAR more superior!!

So I come to you experts for opinions on this. Are the FX's just slow out the hole? Is this ski made mostly for cruising? My wife will be doing nothing but jumping boat wakes, cruising the river while zig zagging or doing a few doughnut here and there. I want to ensure that nothing else is wrong with the ski.

Thanks to all that might have an opinion on this and ANY suggestions I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks,

Stephen
Ok so here is an opinion from a Seadoo guy, I am very familiar with two strokes. I have owned about 20 or so Skidoo snowmobiles.

First off the two strokes are lighter,also more high strung, their High rpm power band tends to wear the motor out faster than a four stroke. They are cold starting and smokey.

Personally I think it is taking a step backwards to buy a two stroke.

As far as two strokes accelerating faster, there is none that can get me outta the hole, then I just run away from them. However my skis are all supercharged. The slowest runs out @ 67 mph. Could the supercharger make that much difference. According to my Yamaha friend there is no acceleration difference between the HO and the SHO until you get to top end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
example

Let me give an example. With our XLT1200 (before if fried the piston) and with the Polaris, can ride side by side idleing. You can cut hard and gun the throttle and it will normally shoot water on the skier beside you.

The FXHO that we just purchased will not do that. It goes but it hits the rev limiter and acts as if the wear ring is wore or the ski is cavitating and not biting. Does that make sense???

Better explained by using the example of your car engine reving up but the transmission slipping.

I hope that helps! Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That is MTL the hull configuration and the intake grate losing a good bite into the water

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You should be going 0 to 30 mph in 2.5 seconds on the stock pre-2009 FX HOs. The stock 2009 and 2010 models with the 1800 cc engines will go 0 to 30 in 2.2 seconds. :reiter: It takes longer to spool up to top speed from there, but the hole shot is impressive for a non-supercharged machine.

If your machine is significantly less than this, you may have a problem with the engine or pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ski is a 2006 model. The intake grate has been replaced with a Riva plate.

Outlaw, what does MTL stand for? Sorry for the ignorance and maybe this is just how this ski is designed.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmmmm

Outlaw,

What do you mean by hull configuration. Is this a choice? lol I hope to take it tomorrow and I will make sure that the trim is down although I cannot see it causing this particular issue if it is an issue at all.

So if one wanted a more performance ski that would do these types of little tricks, not to race, and wanted a 4 stroke, which ski is best for that?

·
Registered
811 Posts
:062:The hull configuration is determined by the manufactuer. For instance no other manufactuer including Yamaha has the S-3 stepped hull that Seadoo has. There is night and day difference in the way the new hull handles compared to non - stepped hulls. The S-3 hull is much more aggressive in sharp turns and creates so much G-Force that it can throw you right off. Also the way the chines lift the hull. The deadrise is different on various skis, which makes a difference in rough water.

This year Yamaha went Nanocel technology in their hulls for a lighter hull at the expense of making it more fragile.

As far as tricks go other than wake jumping I don't do "tricks" too many people get hurt with that. But if thats your thing, then a two seat light ski is best for that.

Catch Ya on the flipside

1 - 9 of 9 Posts