Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1992 Yamaha VXR 650 How long can I run it out of the water before I do some damage I Live on lake and would like to start it before I drop it in the Water I Bought a Universal Flush Kit But comes with no directions on where to hook it to the Motor I am not a Mechanic But like to work on Outboard motors But these are much different any help with these Two Questions will be Much Appreciated Thanks :p

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
20 seconds out of the water if not on a hose. Any longer and you risk overheating the engine. Be sure to always start the engine before you start the hose, and stop the hose before you stop the engine to avoid flooding the engine.

On the hose, I don't know for sure, maybe 15-20 minutes would be OK. Problem with some of the older 2 strokes like yours is that without a load on the impeller you can get the engine to over-rev, and get too lean, which could cause some excessive wear. I'd run it on the hose long enough to flush it, or whatever, but for as short a time as reasoable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1992 Yamaha VXR Water Flush

Thanks Ernest T I did not know about starting motor before star hose I guess I could have Flooded cylinders doing it wrong I think because I am on the lake I will just back it in the water and try to start it If does not start then back on the trailer Is it OK to use a little starting Either when starting for the first time this season? Another question I had was can I leave it tied up to the dock in the water for a few weeks or will that cause me Problems I plan to build a ramp on the dock that I can drive it up onto to get it out of the water but will take me couple weeks to build it Thanks for your Help :p

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Starter fluid is not a problem as long as you don't over do it.

Leaving the ski in the water for a couple of weeks should not be a problem if it is secure. Long water exposure will cause the fiberglass to blister, and of course you get crud growing on the bottom, but that takes months.

The biggest problem with the older skis is that it doesn't take much to flip them over. So it depends on where your dock is. If there is a lot of boat traffic, or wave action you run the risk of the ski getting flipped over in the water, which could cause lots of damage. Other problem is the ski getting banged up against the dock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1992 Yamaha VXR Start up

Thanks T for the Info Luckily I live on a small cove off the main Lake
So very little boat traffic I think to be safe I will try it out this weekend and Back on the Trailer, it still gets down into the high 30s at night We are still a Month or more away from any Good Jet-ski weather around here That will give me plenty of time to Hopefully make something I can drive up on to keep it out of the water so it will not tip over or hit the dock I may invest in a real drive on Dock or PWC Lift if I love jet-skiing as much as I think I will This will be my first time. Thanks again for the help will keep you posted how things go. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts