Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm not sure if this is in the write spot for this post but I am in need of some assistance to diagnose what happend to my ski. I was riding around the lake for the first time after buying this ski and then all of a sudden I lost all propulsion but the motor still starts and revs. After being towed back to the ramp I loaded it up and went to town ripping the impeller out and jet pump out as well. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to look at but I thought maybe something got caught in it causing it to stick but not so much luck. I did notice the impeller was causing grooves in the plastic wear ring. It was also making a really loud metal clanking noise when started out of the water befor I ripped everything out. Now that the drive shaft is out there's no noise. I'd be grateful to anyone with any knowledge for this problem. I'm lost on what to do next. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
put the impeller back iin and measure the impeller to wear ring clearance and try and giggle the impeller. Sounds like the pump bearings my have gone south. I think your supposed to be around .018, but Dave can verify that for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The impeller rubs all the way around but it does have alittle slack when I giggle it around in there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi I'm not sure if this is in the write spot for this post but I am in need of some assistance to diagnose what happend to my ski. I was riding around the lake for the first time after buying this ski and then all of a sudden I lost all propulsion but the motor still starts and revs. After being towed back to the ramp I loaded it up and went to town ripping the impeller out and jet pump out as well. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to look at but I thought maybe something got caught in it causing it to stick but not so much luck. I did notice the impeller was causing grooves in the plastic wear ring. It was also making a really loud metal clanking noise when started out of the water befor I ripped everything out. Now that the drive shaft is out there's no noise. I'd be grateful to anyone with any knowledge for this problem. I'm lost on what to do next. Thanks in advance.
Branamoia, yes you posted in the right spot.
Welcome aboard,
Thanks for posting pics, this helps a lot in diagnosing issue. I'm quite curtain your thrust problem is that the splines in your center shaft have failed. Try inserting the pump shaft and turning it. See if it jumps along or turns motor over. Also see how much back and forth play there is in the splines. They should fit snug. Clean the rust and debis from the shaft first. There probably is still quite a bit in the other end as well.
I don't like the cheap plastic wear rings. They fail quickly and need frequent replacement. Check the pump brgs for side and end play by trying to wiggle the shaft in the housing. Also turn the shaft and check for any roughness in the brgs. Should turn smooth as melted butter no catching or grinding feel.
If pump brgs are ok, the shaft splines look good I'd replace the center support brg/shaft and your wear ring. After that Before you put the pump assembly back in measure the clearance of the Impeller to wear ring. It should be under .018" if it's above that you'll also need an Impeller to tighten the clearance or risk cavitation problems.
All your parts can be found at Babbittsonline for a new ring. Part number 6cr-r1312-00-00 or eBay for used.
SBT or wsm for shaft and seals.
Impros for Impeller if needed. Solas Concords work great for your application.

P.S. the metal clanging sound was probably the impeller rattling on the plastic ring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I did what you said about putting it back to see if the pump brgs have play. They seem to be tight and turn smooth as can be. The shaft on the other hand is doesn't turn the motor over. I didn't realize it wasnt supposed to be loose as it is. Befor I thought it was supposed to turn alot but seems like once I turned it about 280° it went and got tight and then all of a sudden got loose again. Is that supposed to be happening or is that the center shaft thing you were talking about befor? Sorry for all the questions. But thanks for helping narrow this down.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ok. Sounds like pump is fine then and the center shaft support needs replacing. Unfortunately to do so, the motor needs to be moved forward or removed. I'm not sure how much room there is forward of the motor on the xlt. But if you remove the exhaust and motor mounts you can try it. At worst you'll have to lift it out. To take it out though there's a lot more to be removed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Let me add this so it's not missed. Before you put the new shaft and brg in place put marine grease on the splines. Then also wipe marine grease on the pump shaft before installing it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks. I wouldn't have thought about marine grease. There seems like alot of room for moving the engine forward but would there be something in the way of me moving the engine from the center shaft support?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you have the room forward you should be good. may have to untie a few wires from the side or rear engine bay. The motor only has a coupling in back it just slides apart.
You'll need about 5 to 6 inches of clearance to get shaft out I think. May be able to twist motor a bit to help as well.
Do you have a manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually just found one online that I downloaded for it. Thanks for all your help today. Now I just have to rip into it once I get a chance tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You'll need to replace your wear ring also there are some original ones on eBay around $75. A new oem one from Babbittsonline is 110 + shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So got the engine moved forward and found some extra problems that I was unaware of. But the midshaft was definitely bad. All smooth on the inside and the bearing had some play with crusty grease inde it. There was some bolts missing on the manifold where the water goes into the motor so I'm assuming that is what is causing there to be so much water in the hull after I was only on the lake for half an hour. But I wanted to thank everyone for helping me with parts hunting and figuring out how to diagnose this ski. So thank you guys your the best.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Branamoia, glad to be of service. Hope you get squared away quickly and back on the water asap. Need anymore help just call on us here. You can probably get the exhaust manifold bolts on eBay. And get gaskets from sbt and your all set. Once your back together. Grease that brg with marine grease while the ski is running. 4/5 pumps first time then 2 at season start then on. And don't forget to grease the splines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello guys so I getting everything buttoned up and then when I went to put the driveshaft in for the jet pump is it possible that the prevous owner could have put the wrong one in? I have about 2 inches of space that the shaft wont go in any further. I pulled the bearing on the mid shaft out to see if it was caught or something but it goes all the way in to the end of the splines like it should but for some reason it wont bolt up to the ski itself.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Did you compare the two mid-shaft assembies? The new one isn't longer than the original is it? If they are alike all should be good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep they were the same length the only difference was that inside was completely smooth the entire way down. And the new one has a lip where the threads were. I measured the old shaft that is in there and it is 30 inches long roughly and I went looking for a new one thinking maybe I was just looking ar it wrong or something but everything I found was saying 28 inches long for a new shaft.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm at a loss. If you didn't change anything on the pump and the center shaft is the same length as the old one it all should go back together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts